Chapter 27: Where Were You

The small town sitting on the edge of a lake was mourning for what felt like ages. Their beloved doctor was gone and nobody could've done anything to stop it.

Much less, Abbie Ray had lost the only person who could treat her wound- where would she go now. The glumness overwhelmed the population and everyone cried for fun.

Lavela's bakery has been packed since the moment he passed away- the only comfort people could find was that of his mother. She cried more than they did, her son, the hard-working doctor, had basically wasted so many years of his life to not even live it to the fullest. Years in college, years in medical school, years in residency, years taking care of people- and for what? To die at the ripe age of 29? All were remorseful, they hadn't just lost a hardworking, caring, and compassionate doctor, they'd lost a friend.

The normally bright town of Clearwater Oklahoma was as murky as the waters the crocodile had rested. And now there was a bounty out for whoever could kill that croc. It had been out for two weeks and as time passed, nothing could be found. Aside from one of Josiah's shoes in the lake, nothing else remained from him or the crocodile. It must've been an extremely painful death.

The man who had found him only called for police because while he went to go fishing that Sunday evening, the water was an oddly-colored red. Covered to the brim with dead fish afloat on top. It didn't take him long to realize that it was blood and it had filled the entire lake- diluted and all. All that was left of Dr. Josiah Mathews- was a shoe and a spirit that would live on in the dear sweet town.

Lavela's baking had lost its touch, the sweetness of her sugar cookies was gone and now a bland taste was left behind for all who bought them. The small population of Clearwater seemed to disappear slowly as others sought their medical services- and cookies- elsewhere. Dwindling down to rot. Fewer and fewer people attended mass on Sundays- everyone remained in their home. A giant fear of the crocodile had spread and everyone feared that if they were bitten they might a-die or b-get infected and have nobody to treat it because the good doctor was dead.

Everyone was at a loss for words, even the one man who rarely visited Clearwater.

With bright eyes and an ironed tux, Adam stood outside Lavela's bakery. His eyes puffy as he held Eleanor at arms length. Ever since her revelation he was in some weird way- afraid to touch her. Afraid to be around his own wife.

His mind wandered back to the day before, when she had yelled at him for being so foolish and wanting the world to know she was still alive.

"Are you insane?!" Eleanor stomped. "You can't do that!"

"Eleanor, wait, it'll be better..." He was cut off with a strict glare. "We can stay married.. and..."

"Better? For who!? You're just being selfish Adam! You don't want to commit to Magdalene so you're using me as an excuse instead of talking to her." His blood was boiling as she screeched, flailing her arms in the air wildly.

"Don't talk to me about being selfish Eleanor! You faked your damn death and disappeared. If anyone if selfish here, I think it all points to you."

"Adam, I already apologized for that, you can't keep bringing it up!"

"And why not? Some things you can't just forgive and forget- you made me feel like absolute nothing when you left me like that! I wasn't planning on annulling our marriage, I wanted to figure out a way to get my father out of the picture without angering him- by going along with his plans so he would think I was on his side. I wanted to do things the proper way Eleanor!"

"You're a coward Adam!"

"Let's not throw names around, Bree... Elena... Allison!" He crossed his arms, she didn't know what to shout back at him.

"Adam! Just forget about them already! Please!" She shouted, if Adam had neighbors, they would've surely been banging on his door to tell them to shut up.

"Forget them? They were all you! And I can't Eleanor! Don't you get it, you're back now- but where were you in the last eight months?!" The anger was infuriating, they had never argued this angrily or this loudly before- or at all. "Where were you when I was crying over your dead body- huh Eleanor- answer me that, where were you when I was about to punch that truck driver- where were you every night when I couldn't sleep, thinking I had lost every single chance at making things right with you." Adam cried, his words falling on deaf ears as he reached for her, attempting to hold her- actually feel that she was really there.

"Look, we need some... space" She said coldly, pulling her arm away from his burning touch, he was a bee and she was a wasp.

A long pause filled the air. They stared at each other silently until Adam looked away. She didn't want to hurt him- she really didn't.

"Okay, I'm going to go to Oklahoma tomorrow- to mourn with the town...." he took a deep breath, "do you want to join me?"

It was crazy how Adam could easily deescalate a situation. Eleanor looked at him.

"Adam, I am your father." Her face transformed into the old man Carnegie as he continued to stare. Her smile quickly turning into a grimace and faded absolutely. "Anull the damn marriage or I will put all my wrath on the Hays Law Firm!"

"But it was your idea!"

"Fine- and now I have another idea."

Adam woke up gasping for air. They were in the airplane on their way to Oklahoma and Eleanor was soundly asleep beside him. He stared at her for a moment, glad that she was alive. One life is so important, even with all the heartache and all the pain- she was the world to him. He wondered if her family knew she was still alive, and how would they react if they found out?

He would respect her wishes though, not tell the world that Anna or whatever her name was changed to- was Eleanor. His love.

And he would cover for her as best as he could, shield her like she was a fragile rose. He feared her withering to nothing. But her will was too strong and he was in an in-between state- unsure of if he could trust her, and thinking a billion things all at once.

"We've arrived." The pilot said.

Adam's heart rate was still booming at the dangerous dream, more like a memory replayed. He never wanted to see that happen again. He turned to the sleeping murderer and lightly tapped her shoulder.

"El... Eleanor wake up." Adam whispered, nudging her ever so softly.

"Jase- don't go, I need you. I can't do this on my own." She muttered aloud, her eyes racing back and forth behind closed eyelids.

"Eleanor." Adam spoke at full volume, tapping her cheeks lightly.

"Adam I don't love you anymore...." she muttered. Adam's jaw tightened, his Adam's apple bobbed up and down his throat as he instead stood up and walked out of the plane, telling the pilot to wake her up. A few moments later, he heard an air horn go off and a yelling Eleanor screeched at the pilot.

"Adam!" She now focused her anger at him, she wasn't usually an angry person, guess that's what experience in the real world brings.

Her muttered words played in his mind, it was like a broken tape on rewind as he watched her from beside her seat. The airplane's seats were made of a beige leather and it was a comfortable design. The plane was in the layout of Adam's jet and only slightly smaller than a commercial airplane. He had designed it himself, with the help of Magdalene of course.

Maybe Magdalene was actually an option now. Maybe divorce or annulment, perhaps it was because he had slept with her when they weren't in love. He had avoided that as best as he could during their marriage, and now, his worst nightmare came to life. He was now just one of her playthings that she would use and toss.

Now they stood at arms length, staring at the quaint little town, ready for whatever was going to happen.

This was meant as a one day trip and then they could leave, but they ended up staying a full month and it was as if Adam Carnegie and Allison "Eleanor Undead" had disappeared off the face of the earth.