Chapter Twenty-Six

Underneath Every Smile

~Max

“Wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-you-how-no-it-can-wha-ugh-nuff-it-no-this-d-d-d-d-dammit Kyle!” I yell after stuttering for hours. He smiled and pulled me in a hug.

“It’s bout time. The way you two bicker and then flirt and make lovey-dovey eye contact and then go back to bickering.” He smiled. “Go meet him. You have my word. I won’t say a word.” I smile and kiss his cheek. I run to the park at the venue we’re in when someone taps my shoulder, natural instincts, I turn around and slap the person.

“Can’t say I didn’t had that coming.” The talk figure stands up straight and I roll my eyes.

“What Austin?” I tap my foot impatitently, I had to meet Andy in less than three minutes.

“I only need a minute. I’m sorry for everything. Dumping you, getting you trampled in the Wall of Death, even though I’m surprised you survived the Mosh Pit.” I giggle at that. “I’m sorry about those horrible things I said on stage. Alan didn’t want to say it, but everyone expected him to. Trust me, Tino and Phil weren’t happy with us  after the show.” He got down on one knee. I gave him a confused look when he pulled out a box.

“Ellie Schmitt, will you be my best friend again?” I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I slap Austin’s head.

“Of course. You know how forgiving I am.” He got up and put the necklace on me. “Okay, bestie. I need you to do me a favor. If any of the WCAR or my band ask where I am, tell them I’m on my bus. If they as where Andy is, tell them he’s with Kyle.” He gave me a confused look. “Please. I’ll explain later.” He nodded and I took off running again. I saw his figure sitting on the swing. My heart began beating faster than usual and a huge smile was plastered on my face. I took a deep breath and walked to the back of the swing. I placed two hands over his eyes.

“I’ll kill you!” I yelled, my attempt to be serious. But of course my giggle gave it away.

“Cute.” I sit on the swing next to him and began twirling it.

“So, guess what?”

“Hmm.”

“Kyleknowsweredatingandaustinandiarebestfriendsagain.”

“What?” I take a deep breath and say it more slowly.

“Kyle knows were dating and Austin and I are best friends, again.” I can see the anger go through his eyes before they calmed.

“Okay.”

“Okay? You’re okay with all of this” I wave my hands around the air.

“Yup.” He said popping the “p”.

“How?”

“Cause I remember your promise to me.” ohhhh. Well, this isn’t gonna end well. But there’s a first for everything. I felt his fingers lace through my hand and I smiled.

“Thank you.” I say.

“For what?”

“For being the stubborn asshole you are.” Ever since that night at the party, there have only been a few people who could actually touch me without getting slapped. I cling onto Andy the most because his voice and touch was the first thing I felt when I woke.

“Hey, I know I can be stubborn, but I’m not an a-hole.” I punch his arm.

“Come on, we have to get back to the buses.” We walked back hand in hand until the venue came in sight.