Chapter Thirty-Eight

Stay

~Ellie~

“D-d-dad? Chris? Stranger?” in front of me were three people I loved and held dearly to my heart. Well two people. The lady is a complete stranger to me. she noticed this and chuckle. It sounds so familiar.

“I’m Lisa Carlile.” I gasp and take a few steps back. “Your father would not stop talking about you. As I recall, my son is very in love with you.” His mother is even prettier in person. I only saw what she looks like in photos. She pulled me into a hug.

“I don’t get it. Why am I here?” I ask after I pull back. Chris is my cousin who died in a car wreck at the age of 16. I was ten at the time.

“My cousin is all grown up.” He claims. He came over and hugged me.

“You are here because we need to talk.” My dad says in his stern voice. I run over and hug my dad.

“About what?”

“You. Your supposed to fall in love at Warped. We can’t tell if it’s with Andy, Vic, or Austin. But whoever it is, you will feel something.” Chris says.

“Feel what?”

“It will happen at the moment. You will feel like you’re on fire. Burning up. Your chest will feel like it’s swelling up. But when you collide lips with the person, it will feel like fire in the water.” Lisa speaks up. I turn around and see nothing but whiteness.

“And, you are not supposed to die yet.” My dad speaks.

“When will I die? How?” I ask, curious.

“You will live to the age of 29.”

“Only four more years?”

“Yes. You will die by suicide. I’m not going to tell you what drives you to commit suicide, but just know a bumpy road lies ahead.”

“But why can’t I die now? I already make you disappointed in me.” I mumble as I kick the air around us.

“You already make me proud. Lisa and I look down on you guys everyday and I couldn’t be more proud.” Lisa and my dad hold hands. “But if you die now or even later, before your time, I will be disappointed.” The frown as now displayed on my face.

“Ellie, wake up. I just want you to wake up.” Chris says. But it’s not in his voice. It’s in Austin’s.

“Another thing, Austin will live miserable without you for the next year after your death.”

“But he can’t I can’t die and leave my best friend!” I blurt out. A single tear rolls don my face.

“Don’t cry.” Chris/Austin says. I’m engulfed in a hug as my fingers shake. “David and Lynzie will get married.” I pull back.

“Really? Will I be alive for it?”

“Yup. A month before you commit. You’ll love it.” I blush and smile. My best friend will  marry my best friend. Man, wow.

“We should tell her Zachary! We can’t keep that from her.” Lisa hisses.

“Fine. Sweetie, one more thing. You will be a-”

The unmistakable sound of my lifeline goes flat. We all look at each other. My dad and Lisa’s eyes go wide.

“Go.” She ushers me. “You’ve been here too long.”

“We love you, even Lisa. See you soon sweetie.” And with that a giant light is shined on them. And one by one, they dissolve into nothing. I stand in the white empty room by myself with the sound of my flat lifeline screeching through. How do I even get back into ‘my body’?