Chapter Thirty-Six

Fire In The Water Part. 1

Watching Austin and the guys practice in the studio is so amazing. It’s awesome to see how much Austin puts into his work. I love how Aaron is just as focused, even though he didn’t write. It’s amazing seeing them work as a band. I’m grateful for the band I have. All my best friends. Max was studying Tino’s techniques on the drums since we’ve become a little more metal core; he needs to speed up the pace. In fact, we’re all watching them. Miley is studying Aaron, Ryan is studying Phil and I’m studying Austin, Alan, and Aaron. I wish we were as talented as Of Mice & Men. Compared to them, we’re shit. But as he begins to start Second & Sebring, his eyes met mine and I knew he was going to cry.

Another reason it’s going to be hard to let go of Austin. He’s like a giant fluffy teddy-bear (and wow did that sound weird) and teddy bears are hard to let go. You just want to hug em’ over and over again. David and Kyle soon came downstairs, David holding hands with Lynzie. As the song ends, Austin speaks over the microphone, his voice a little shaky.

“You guys wanna give it a shot?” we all looked at each other than back at them. “I saw the way you were gawking at us. Come one! Take their places, pick a song, and let’s see how you guys sound.” I turned to them.

“You guys want to?” their eyes beamed with excitement. “Okay, what song do we all know? Nothing with clean vocals for now.” They all pondered it for a moment. Then Max had a smile spread across his face.

“They Don’t Call It The South For Nothing.” We all looked at him. He may be young, but he is full of cockiness.

“You sure?” I asked, knowing he would seriously pick up a lot of speed.

“Positive.” We turned to Austin.

“They Don’t Call It The South.” He nodded and everyone left their gear to take a spot behind the glass to watch us. we filled in their spots. Max behind the drums, Miley picking up Aaron’s guitar, Ryan taking Phil’s guitar and me standing next to Austin behind a microphone with Alan’s guitar. Max counted the beats before starting.

Make waves, make waves, I'm sea, it's all you can take.

Come back, back down now, I'm drifting away.

Your ship's sunk. It's gone down, now your captain is dead.

Your saints become sailors, when my ocean is fed by these,

Bloody waters, Mark my words. Come on.

Alright I want you call to clap along and sing with me:

 As things slowed down a bit, I began to sing along with Austin. Feeling loved and belong and surprised at how well we sounded, of course we messed up here and there, but we were killing it.

When I said I'd fight back, I didn't say that I'd fight fair.

I said I'd fight back, I didn't say that I'd fight fair.

Salt your eyes, sleep with all the fishes.

The waves start the flood that's drowning yourself.

Broken, then we'll salt your eyes.

No wind, this sound.

Waves, make waves.

Back down, stop drifting away.

Come back, come back, it's all you can take.

We'll pour salt in your eyes.