Chapter 10

As we approached the large dark heavy wooden gates. I spotted the guards on top and when they saw us. One yelled to open the gates.

Loud sounds from the door, opened the large wooden door. As it slowly separate, the horses began to gallop their way in.

The small town filled with people walking around going to stores, children playing with paper shape dragons gliding through the air and very loud shop keepers selling their merchandise.

"Prince Ling!" A woman cried happily to see the young prince. " General Zhao, Welcome back."

The general nodded his head as he lead us to the Jade palace.

With the people of the Jin Empire waved them, not including me. They have never seen me before, they were stunned that a woman is wearing an armor representing to serve the empire, to serve their emperor.

I wasn't much to look at, reminded me of my childhood. I'm used to it.

The path had lead through tall pillars made out of Jade and swirls of gold lace that end with the Thousand Steps to Heaven is what we called when walking to Dragon's Gates to the Jade Palace.

Taking those long steps had given me nauseous. I've never been this close entering the front of the palace.  The only thing I've been close to was the Sea of Flowers where my Master had taught Prince Ling wushu.

After taking those thousand steps is quite tiring and complaining who would ever built these steps. But, it does have a meaning. The mean that when an Emperor walk up the steps towards the Jade Palace he and only he would see the guard of the gates to heaven, the dragon.

Approaching close I could spot the golden gates. In the center of the gate, also in gold is the dragon who guards it. Two guards opened the gold gate allowing us in.

So, if I ever agreed to be one of the concubines I would've been here entering the red marbled interior palace. I let go the nervous fear that built inside of me as I followed Ling and General Zhao behind them.

That's when I gagged at the site of Emperor Wen and a few of female entertainers smothering and giggling as he enjoy himself with them. Just seeing him and those girls had made me think of me as one of those makes me sick to the stomach.

Emperor Wen moved his eyes directly on me and he smirked. I just shivered with disgust. All three of us knelt down before our ruler of the Jin Emperor.

"Mei-Li Hua," even when he announced my name. I wanted to leave as quickly and release all the cooked Quail bird from earlier. "You looked beautiful in armor I must say, but you would be more beautiful in silk."

"Thank you, Emperor Wen," I said through my gritted teeth. I could not be rude of his compliment that I had me shiver in discomfort.

He never left his eyes off me, I looked down to avoid contact. I heard his woman purring next to him. "Little Brother, I greatly award you bringing back my presume bride."

"Emperor Wen, I have a request," Ling stepped forward.

"And that would be?" He asked firmly, and curious.

"Since Mei-Li can no longer be one of your wives, I would request for her to stay as one of the Jin Army."

"Unacceptable!" Screeched Council Liao-Fang  skipping his way with his hands inside his sleeves, holding his fan. "That woman who was chosen to be our great emperor wife had decided to join the army for only males."