Chapter 22

"Mei-Li!" I jerked away quickly from Lucas's embrace after hearing Ella's voice. She looked at me then at Lucas. She pulled her cat grin. "Oh, sorry, was I interrupting something?"

I cleared my throat. "No, I was just about to head back to the group. What is it, Ella?"

"Oh that, sorry," looking frantic as before. "It's Ling, he is-"

Without her explaining I dash towards Ling and the others, saw the young prince lying on the ground in crucial pain. I bent down holding his head in my arms. "Your highness! What's is wrong?"

"J-jie," he groaned painfully holding his stomach.

I look up at the group. "Did he eat something while I was gone?"

"No, he was beginning to tell tales about you then suddenly he fainted and groan like he's suffering from something," said Syrena.

I pull up his sleeve and checked his pulse. They are weak. Then I notice a dark color on his arm has started to spread. I push his sleeves up more that my heart sank almost to the bottom.

"Oh my," Ella gasped in terrifying shock. "What is that?"

"That doesn't look like any regular poison," said Eugene.

"Mei-Li, what is it?"

"Love, can you cure it?" Hearing Matt's voice talking to Ella.

"I would, but I don't know what that is," Ella said. "Even if I can cure anything. I can't guarantee it will help Ling."

I began to shake again only this time for the sake of Ling's life. I never knew I could see one up close but I kept my eyes on it.

"Mei-Li?"

"You can't," I told him quietly. "This is  no ordinary poison. It's a curse."

Syrena gasped as to everyone else did the same. "A curse?"

"How do you know?" Asked Matt.

"My Master taught me lots of different poison and their cure. He also taught me the type of curses use for people who enjoy killing."

"Well, how did he get it and where?"

I sighed. Ling lying on my lap breathing heavy and sweating harshly. "That is the mystery. I don't know who or what can cause Ling to be suffering but he knew the young prince is out here." Maybe it's him. I bit my lips.

"You know who, Mei-Li," said Lucas.

"I'm not sure but it could be one of Emperor Wen's dogs."

"Dogs?"

I nodded. "I call them that because they obey everything the Emperor tells them to do. They are loyal to him, not only that they are his advisors as well. One of the four Lords, he is a shaman, Lord Chuen, specialize in medicine and poison. Who also master in curses. After all, he's a shaman with many curses he know."

"What do we do?" Ella sat next to me.

I wasn't sure myself. His own brother. Emperor Wen would do this to his own brother. But why?

"We have to take him to Durong Tribe, they might know," I suggested, then looked down unable to continue.

"What's wrong?" I face Ella.

"Durong Tribe would take three days to get there. Judging by this curse as it rapidly spreads fast I don't think Ling will not make it another day."

"Oh no," Ella voice crack of sadness as she sobs. Matt embraced her to comfort her sorrows for the young Prince.

I clinch my hands tightly. Tears began to fall from my eyes. "I told him. I told him to stay home. He knew of all the unknown dangers waiting for him and I just..." Tears drip on top of Ling's face. "I couldn't protect him but only made him contaminate my misfortunes upon him."