Chapter 14

"Emperor Wen, you must permit a group of our best soldiers to guard Water Lily Valley," Zhao said with eagerness. "Who knows when Khan can strike?"

Ling, Zhao and I watch the Emperor as he smooth his beard. When he does his thinking. My body was beginning to shake a bit from this waiting. Why does he need to think? This is crucial state we are in.

I can't wait any longer. "Emperor, if you don't say anything. Khan will do nothing but to destroy one village until the whole kingdom will be wipe out. Do you want to see the kingdom your great ancestor had built." He stared at me. I was building my anger. "Why won't you say something?!"

"Jie," Ling touched my arm in hopes to calm me down. It work but I was still in rage.

"Captain Mei-Li," Zhao gave me the look to not interrupt the Emperor when he's thinking. It would be punishment.

"Mei-Li, I will grant your suggestion," Emperor Wen began. "On one condition."

I don't like that expression of his. "That would be your grace?"

He smirked and straighten his posture. "You've heard of Twin Dragon Peak?"

"Of course, everyone know of its legend."

"Yes, the Gold Pearl that holds great power and summons the dragons." Emperor Wen's eyes sparkled. "Whoever obtain the pearl will control the dragons just like the great Master Jun Kai."

"Master Jun Kai," Ling began with happiness in his voice. "Master of all great fighters throughout the Jin Empire. He lives on Twin Dragon Peak as guardian of the Gold Pearl. No one has actually defeated him, not even wushu masters. He's too strong and wise. You have to solve his riddle before your capable of entering the chamber."

"That's why I want you, Captain to fetch it for me." Emperor Wen added.

It's impossible. True a grand master lives in the mountain but no one has actually seen him control the dragons. I still don't believe they exist. It just a way to create more lies to the people believing that two dragons are our savior and protector it is why we worship them so much because they don't exist. That's when I remember what Father told me; you don't see them because they come to you. I can't figures to out what he meant by that it is driving me nuts.

"Well, Captain?" I looked up at the emperor. "Are you willing to obey my demands or will I change my mind of your request?"

That no-good-fat....I felt my blood boiling inside. He really doesn't care about his people's safety from Khan all he wants is that Pearl. Fine if he wants it so bad I might as well prove to him that there is no such thing.

"I'll do it."

Emperor clapped like a happy child. I snarled and controlled my shift. "Wonderful! You will leave when the birds sing and you will go alone. I don't want to wait patiently for your return." He eyed his brother.

I nodded to Ling's direction gesturing him it's alright. I looked back at Emperor Wen. "Understood, my emperor."

"Good!" He clapped his hands again. "Now it is time for lunch."

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・⚜・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

The morning came as I started my journey towards Twin Dragon Peak. It is going to be a long ride and starting brightly early in the morning is already making me want to go back to sleep.

With the singing birds and the crunching dried leafs underneath my horse's hooves I scavenger my eyes around the forest to prepare for a surprise ambush. Khan's men could be anywhere and I mean anywhere. They blend with the forest like ghost.

"I can't believe I agreed to this," I muttered under my breath. "The Gold Pearl doesn't exist. Neither does dragons." I scoffed.

With my ears open hearing any unusual sounds I used my enhanced hearing to catch anything I should be cautious about.

I suddenly snapped my head over my shoulder once a broken twig alert me halt my horse to a stop. About to reach my sword when I realized the familiar scent in the air. I groaned. "Come out, Prince Ling."

The bushes rustled and out came the young prince with a smile as if innocent.

"Hi, Jie," he chuckled nervously.

"Ling, why are you here?" I asked him, not angry but concerned.

"I wanted to go with you."

"Did your brother instruct you not to go?" I said. "I had to go alone."

"But you will need me for Master Jun Kai's riddle," he whistled calling for his own horse.

I rubbed my face to how irritated. "I don't need you for the riddle because that story is just a myth."

"But Master Jun Kai isn't," he hop on his mount, "and besides I wanted to see if the Gold Pearl really exist. Since my brother wanted to bad I want to see its power."

"Don't tell me you have the same taste?"

Ling shook his head. "I may be showered with riches but I ain't thirsty with greed." Then he sighed. "Honestly, the reason I came is because if the Gold Pearl does have the power to control dragons and if my brother obtain it. I fear that Jin Empire will never be the same."

And that moment I realized what he meant. Emperor Wen is obsessed with power and having the Gold Pearl in his hand will deeply cause destruction to this empire.

I command my horse to make its steps and when I didn't hear Ling behind me I stop again and look back. "Well, aren't you coming?"

"You're letting me come?" He smugly smiled.

"Just make sure your behind me at all times whenever there is danger, got it?" I demand.

"Yes, sir!" Ling gave me a salute as we began our journey towards the mountain where lies the Gold Pearl.