Chapter 43

"Oh my god," we then all look at Syrena with a shocking face. "What?"

"But why?" Lucas asked, sadden of my decision. "Is it because I've been with plenty of woman. You know I don't care about them. Your the only one I-"

I stopped his mouth with my finger. "Would you shut up for once. The reason I couldn't marry you because I still have a duty to fulfill since I became a General under the power of Emperor Wen. The law here said a royal family and a high rank officer of the empire cannot be married unless permitted by the emperor and that emperor is dead I can not marry you. If I were a foot solider then that wouldn't be a problem. I'm sorry." I dipped my head.

It's hard for me to explain especially to the man whom I want to spend my life with but it's a matter of serving my kingdom or leaving it unprotected.

"I still have my duty here to serve and protect my kingdom and the people residing here. I can't just give that up to settle down. And besides, I'm not human."

"Huh, Mei Li, have you forgot one person who isn't human like you. What am I, an object?" Ella pointed out.

"What I mean is," ignoring Ella and faced Lucas. "I still have my honor here to serve Jin."

"Ling," Lucas whined at the small prince for help like a child. A child whining to a child. How embarrassing. "Can't you do something?"

Long sighed, closing his eyes to think hard.

"My liege?" General Zhao said.

"The rules are in a tight spot. I did not make Mei Li a high ranking officer of the law. My brother his power declare of it, thus making Mei Li one of his people, hence, she must ask my brother for permission to marry someone from a royal family."

"But Wen is dead," said the General.

"Clearly," Ling looked at me, with greatness and power of the new emperor. "Mei Li, do you want to marry Prince Lucas?"

I bit my lips and glance at Lucas and in my heart knows the truth. It's dead on that I can not lie not even to the man I wanted to let go so he could have someone worthy of him. Someone who could make him happy than someone who didn't know who she was until now. I always knew I was different, different made my adopted father hate me because of his legs, different that my real parents sacrifice everything for me by protecting all I had. Losing the mother I just found out died for me. Everything I had face and fought wasn't precious but sorrows. And I didn't want Lucas to feel my burden by being with me. He declares his love and I do love him. He's the man who not only makes me mad all the time with his cunning behaviors but feel special. He sees me as me.

Facing back at Ling, I took a deep breath. "Yes, yes I do. But, Prince Ling, I have my duty to serve you since Wen is dead all I can do now is to protect you with my life."

"Well, then that solves it," Ling grabbed General Zhao's sword then walked towards me.

"Your highness what are you doing?" My eyes grew wide.

"Ling?"

All I do is stare at the small prince and not pull up a defense against him so I closed my eyes waited until I heard a snip. My neck feels breezy suddenly as I felt my neck with my hand.

I opened my eyes and saw my long hair in Ling's hand. "What did you do, Ling?" Touching my bare neck and the bottom of my hair as it tickled my fingers.

He cut my hair.

"Evidence."

I frowned and confused so did everyone else.

"Evidence? For what?" I asked.

"Your death."

Everyone all look but said nothing but put on a face of shock.

"My death?" I was even more confuse than everyone else was. "Cutting my hair, what will that do prior for my death."

"Jie, the people of Jin will know that Khan reign is forevermore gone. My brother's power as emperor will no longer be the nightmare of my people. But, the people will never forget the brave and honorable thing by saving the country and for that they will praise a hero. You save me and the whole kingdom and with your death, would be the honorable thing. At least you will be free."

"I don't understand," I whispered.

"You've been there for me since I was young. I couldn't be happier to have someone who I looked up too as a friend and a sister. People looked at me because the blood of a commoner runs through my veins but that didn't stop me from reaching my goal to bring peace and get rid of all the evil doers from this land." Ling took my hand into his small ones. "I also wish for you to be happy, that's another goal of mine. You can run away forever from the happiness bestow upon you let alone that person who loves you. You joined the army for your family and didn't want to marry my brother but you were able to save all of Jin."

"Prince Ling."

"From here on out," Ling brought forth his mighty voice upon his men, "Commander Mei Li Hua risked her life to save others. This lock of hair is proof of her death of honor and bravery what she serve this kingdom. Among you men shall not announce her whereabouts or you will all be perished. Is that clear?"

"Yes!" A crowd of Jin army all answered to the new emperor of Jin.

Wow, I've never seen this side of Ling before as I witness what a true king looks like.

He knew I was looking when he turned his head and smile brightly back to his childish looks. I couldn't up but smiled myself.

I suddenly felt a tingling feeling railing up my spine. And then turn to face a devastating Prince.

I only grin and walk towards him.