Chapter 45

"There you are."

I found Syrena in her room standing at the balcony watching the ocean view from afar. It's one of the reason I had requested from King William to let Syrena stay in this room with the view of the sea.

The little mermaid wipe her face looking over her shoulder as if she was surprise. "Oh, hello Mei Li. Shouldn't  you be in bed resting. And where are the twins?"

I let out a grunt. "I'm fine. Bed resting is making me cramp and lazy so I decided to move my body at the field for a bit. Don't tell Ella or Lucas they will scold me for not resting. As for the twins, their grandparents took them out to play in the garden with Ella's children. King William is bringing out his inner child." I giggled, resting my head on my hand with my arms over the edge of the balcony.

Silence between us only the breezing made whistling sounds. I advert my eyes to the corner watching how I'm a daze she is. Then her expression changed into stress or in pain and once again her hand is holding her other arm.

"Syrena, is there you would like to talk about?" I broke the silence between us.

She flinched and flash me a assuring smile as if everything is okay. "I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, I don't know," I hung my arms over the edge of the balcony look ahead. "You seem like something is troubling you and as a friend I worry."

Syrena looked down and sighed. Went back looking at the ocean from the castle before she could explain her frustration. "Remember when I told you I ran away from home to avoid an arranged marriage."

"Yeah."

"Well, that was half true," she confessed.

I wasn't surprise of her confession but it had me curious to know the other half of the truth. "So, what's the other half?"

"I didn't want to say to you because I'm too afraid that our friendship will end if I told you the main reason."

I clamp my hand on her shoulder and smiled. "Our friendship will never end. After all you fought along side me during the war with Khan and I appreciate the help. I trust you"

Syrena look away, her eyebrows furrow and her lower lip quiver. I felt her whole body shake as I take my hand away. "The man my father wants me to marry is a Fishman."

"Um, a what?" I sounded dumb saying that. "What's a Fishman?"

"They are known to be sea creatures that take shape of a human being yet body varieties of sea dwellers. Unlike mermaids they walk on two legs and are stronger than a normal human." She sighed another one but this time more scared than worried.

"Mermaids and Fishman are at war with each other since I could remember. My father told me that my mother died by a Fishman, their queen, Morgana. Since then, war broke between the two species and now in order to stop the fight my father decided to hence a marriage treaty between me and Morgana only son, Kato. But I refuse to marry a man I ran away and met with a sea witch, Delmar. I ask her to grant me something that could stop the war between the Fishman and Mermaids saving lives who didn't deserve to die and since I'm just a small tiny mermaid princess what can I do except have the power of the sea so for an exchange Delmar wanted the ancient weapon, Poseidon's Triton and she made me drink the blood of a Deku. If I don't get what she wants I will die."

"What's a Deku?" I asked.

"It's a carnivorous, bloody thirsty demon that said to live beneath the ocean. No one has seen it but clearly the sea witch kept it hidden as her pet only she can control him. I don't know how Delmar has its blood I drank it anyways and my body suddenly changed from the inside. I felt myself inside ripping apart like something growing inside of me. My body never felt so weak until I drank a deku's blood. My father said drinking a Deku can grant you anything but it's a price to pay and well..." Syrena look away.