Chapter 23

The ride was fast easily for my horse to take us heading towards the direction of the magical elixir. Ling is unconscious and unable to move but I could hear the sound of his beating heart fading closer to reach his death. I command my horse to run faster with a aggressive grunt.

Once arrived, I set my eyes at the largest mountain located far deep in the forest of the Jin Empire. You can actually see it from the palace.

"Mei-Li."

I face Syrena. "About Lucas." She suddenly began. "I know it's not the right time to say but, do you love him?"

I didn't answer directly yet gave a thought of what she asked. Do I love him? What do these feelings mean to me? Does he feel the same way? Of course he said much back in the forest, but...

I looked away shaking my thoughts of our flustering kiss I've wanted as evidence of his feelings for me as my true feelings for him as well. "We have to hurry." Ignoring the question and put Ling on my back using my cape to secure him.

Syrena didn't pressure further with her curious question. After all, she mostly read my mind while under water. How does that work? She shouldn't be in people's mind and business. She ran behind me as I carried Ling towards the entrance of the mountain. 

I tilt my head up looking for a way to get inside and down underground it's the only way. My ears picked up a air way and I spot the opening of the cave approximately thirty feet from where we are standing. I tighten the knot of my cape, form my hands into reptilian claws and retract my big black sharp claws and pierced the mountain wall. 

I was climbing with I realized my weight wasn't heavy at all. I looked over my shoulders and find a surprised mermaid looking at my hands. I growled. "Stop staring and climb on."

"I can't help how amazing scientist can do with our bodies," she blinked, pulling a wide grin.

"Now it is not the time to be in awe, Princess, but we need to get that elixir before my prince falls in a deep sleep."

Syrena immediately felt alert of my words mentioning Ling's condition and climb on my back holding him. 

The weight of two people isn't heavy at all as I climbed with one claw after another heading straight up. Each of my sharp nails left a deep hole on the mountain walls as we finally reached the opening of the mountain. I pulled Syrena off first to grab Ling then I came up last putting him on my back again. He groaned in pain and I could feel his breathing slowly decreasing its pace. 

"We got to hurry," I murmured, worried and scared for the little prince's death. 

We ran through the dark cave, the sound of water droplets and our thundering shoes echoes the cave. I picked up the sounds of raging waterfalls indicating we are near. I held Ling using my arms behind my back, and ran towards a illuminating light ahead but pulled a halt from preventing us to fall. I look down to see a large mass of water then trail up to find four waterfalls in each corner inside the mountain. Clear, and blue water pouring from unknown water source filled the inside of a mountain creating a crystalize lake. 

"So beauty," Syrena whispered beside me and I couldn't agreed. 

I scan my eyes looking for the elixir, which I wasn't sure what it look like but Syrena was the first to find it. 

"Mei-Li, look!" she pointed to the center of the lake, rest a small island with a large willow tree. "I think something is there."

Squinting my eyes I found what is hidden inside the willow tree and it is glowing. "That must be it." I told her. "Hurry, get on my back."