Chapter 11

I brand my hair with a knot as I glanced down at the new silver armor that was given to me as a gift to the Emperor. He sure wanted me to wear the commanding officer rank.

Ling's request was a bit confusing me. I'm at fault for not notifying the government and the Emperor that I lived. Two years and the punishment I get was rank to a Commanding Officer under General Zhao. To my acknowledgment, Emperor Wen won't get his bride back. The law to be of royalty is nobility, ladies in waiting or royalty. Either one but a court office can cause a hoax. That's what I learned from Ling. If an emperor or empress marry one of a court official that would definitely bring down the empire.

I put on my hanfu before I placed the shiny silver armor around my body. It felt lighter than my older ones. So, this was the feeling of higher rank. My concerns are the thousands of luring eyes upon me once I walk with General Zhao.

Ready for a day of training the new soldiers. I found the General out in the courtyard following him to the training arena. The large wooden doors but smaller than the front of the empire, there filled with so many soldiers ready to be trained and ready to take action once Khan comes back.

From what I heard from General Zhao and Ling, Khan had not returned that day when he escaped his crimes two years ago but, came back a month ago destroying another village. The empire was in rage of fear, I'm in rage of anger. So, the Emperor finally decided to have so many men recruited from each village.

Right on his feet passing through the men training but once they caught a glimpse of me wearing a higher rank the whispers replaced the wind. I wasn't surprised. I expected this but I didn't like what they say about me. Despite I'm a woman.

"Line up!" General Zhao commanded as the men scattered around taking position. "You are all here for one purpose - justice. You have the privilege and official duty to serve your emperor and the people within this empire." He turned his head and his eyes laid on me. "I'm sure you are all aware that a few or you knew of Sheng-Yi Yang, alias - Mei-Li Hua, daughter Fu-Jin Hua, a military veteran. Now, I know you are shock that she's a female but as your Commanding Officer you will show respect and follow orders. Is that clear?"

The men were silents and a few were whispering unheard voices.

"Is that clear!" General Zhao pushed his voice higher in a roar that had the men jumped with fright.

"Yes, sir!" Their voice echoed the field.

"Good, if I find some problems regarding the gender of your commanding officer, I suggest you take that complaint up to the Emperor." No one said a word, and knew of his warning. Scared; everyone knew the Emperor is a pig but a king is a king. There is nothing they can do.

The elder general dismissed the men back to their training. I followed back with Zhao as we entered the large tent.

"You okay?" He asked, removing his sword and took a seat.

"With all hateful eyes on me during your announcements, I'm completely fine," I chuckled heartlessly.

"Don't act strong, Mei-Li," he ruffed his beard. "I saw the way they looked at you. But, don't worry, under my control and the emperors acceptance of you becoming my commanding officer until Khan is defeated you have a choice."

Choice, either stay or go back to Enchantia with my new family and probably stay for another reason. I gripped my Jade sword tightly as pressured increased inside of me. Part of me wants to stay, the other wants me to go.

Besides thinking of my happy new life in Enchantia always lead to flash Lucas in my mind. I could not sleeps sometimes whenever I think of Enchantia. Maybe it was best for me to stay here. But, why do I feel a odd feeling? Like something broke a chip piece from my heart.  

"Mei-Li?"

I snapped my head to the face Zhao. "I'm sorry, just thinking."

"Thinking of a certain prince?" He countered.

"Not you too," I grunted. "I will tell you what I told Prince Ling, me and Prince Lucas have nothing."

"Have nothing or don't want nothing?"

"Have nothing," I answered. "His mother is from Amorian. Do you know the story of that place?"

"The Kingdom of Love?"

"Precisely," I said, "he is the romantic type and I will not guess to how many girls he's been with. If I become part of him, I will not live with another broken heart."

He sighed heavy. Combing his beard with his fingers as he studied me.

"I understand how your parents are when your father broke down about his legs." He lean forward on his desk intertwined his fingers. "Your mother still shows the love for your father but kept pushing you and her away because he felt ashamed. I know he sometimes would hurt her."

I remembered those dark images. When father is drunk he would have some of his strength to hit mother only because she felt pity for him.

"You knew my father very well than I do, but General, he wasn't the same father I knew before." I looked down. "My father was a well respectable man and had pride. When his immobility occurred it's like his soul was pulled into darkness. He wasn't himself. I felt hurt and scared." Now the tears were pooling up but I kept my stances. "I was scared for his life as he tried to blame himself of what happen to him and hurt because he didn't show love for me anymore when he agreed to sell me off to marry that tyrant."

"Mei-Li," he stood from his chair. "We all know what Emperor Wen is capable and clumsy of showing his title but he's still out emperor. Nothing can change."

"Because of him my father, my parents are dead." I tried to control my speech while the tears fall from my eyes. "Because of his greediness and wants for me to be his wife, I defied my father's wishes, my parents wouldn't be lying in the pool of blood by the blades of Khan." My body was shaking. "He's to blame...I'm to blame...I didn't listen..."

I closed my eyes, away to have someone witness my tears. I was then pulled into a large chest and smell of metal steel of armor against my nose. With Zhao's comfort, I sobbed.