Chapter 13

Lucas

"Go console him, Matt,"

"What do I say? It's been only two weeks since Mei-Li left Enchantia,"

"And during those two weeks, your brother has been coming home out of his head and ratting on nonsense - in front of our children."

With the fresh nightly air blowing in my face, I heard my brother and Ella entered my bedchamber that I didn't bother to greet them and are arguing in a low tone of voice that even a crickets could hear.

When the arguement whispers continues. I grunted so loudly they stopped. I turned to them. "As much I love you two here and worried but can I be alone."

Ella was the first to speak. "Lucas, I know since Mei-Li's departure that you've been going to the taverns lately and drinking until you are unable to think." She turned to face her husband than back at me. "Matt and I are worried. Do you miss her?"

I scoffed sarcastically turning my attention back at the white full moon. "Miss her? Why worry about one woman when I have plenty in the kingdom to fall for me."

"You are the number one womanizer in Enchantia, that's for sure," Ella grunted at my arrogance. "But don't excuse yourself of your cockiness that you don't miss a slightest bit. My children miss her more than you do and they cry for her."

My sister-in-law is quite sharp and intelligent. She could read right through me no matter how hard I tried. Even my brothers seems to know what's going on. Each woman that I've been with my mind always thought about one woman - who isn't in my arms.

Ella was suddenly at my side looking at the clear moonlight. "My dear brother, I know it's hard to not think about the person. Believe me, I was behaving like that with Matt. I lied about everything of myself to hid my identity to him so, I would push him away. That didn't work because he's been in my mind and heart that it's hard to let go." She placed her hand over mind and I could feel the warmth of kindness and love within her. It's no wonder my brother fell for her hard. "You love my sister, don't you?"

I let out air through my nose and fizzled my hair nervously before answering her. "I don't know if it's love. I mean, I want her near me and whenever I see her my heart would become the sounds of galloping wild horses. It won't stop. I smile when she smiles and laugh. Her beauty is far more extraordinary than other woman I've seen and been with. And she isn't afraid. She's cares fort others than herself. She protects. I've never met a woman like her before. She reminded me so much of my mother."

I gazed at the night sky filled with many stars thinking if Mei-Li is too looking up above at the same time.

Ella smiled. "You love her," she said, "you just won't admit it."

I do. "What about her?"

"Mei-Li is stubborn as you." She joked and chuckled a bit. "She keeps denying it but I could tell the way she looks at you."

"Hatred," I scoffed.

"No, worried."

I pulled my brows together in a frown. "Worried? Worried about what?"

Ella sighed. "She's worried because she knew that she'll be going back to her home country and will never return. Never return to us...to you." She let go of her hand. "Everyone has a story that they can tell but only if one person listen to hear the truth. Mei-Li has that story in which she didn't share with no one except me. As I listened, the way she spoke of telling her story was the sound of  regret."

"Regret of what?"

"Honor."

I didn't know what she meant like that. I know the meaning of the word but why would Mei-Li regret honor?

"If she ever does come back," Ella continued as she turned to face her husband. "I'm sure she has a story to tell you that would make you rethink of her."

"I'm not giving up," I confessed and made Ella smiled.

"I sure hope not because what she needs most a someone who could pull her out of her darkness," she took Matt's hand, "Like I was," Matt expressed his love to her and they walked out of my room.

The door closed, I pressed my hands firmly on the cemented fence of my balcony as I closed my eyes shut with all this anger.

What Ella said is true, that I love her and she probably loves me back - then...why leave? Why leave me here and not by my side?

She left that it would be best no to handle our feelings for each other. I flexed quickly at my heart feeling the pain inside as I thought of Mei-Li. Why didn't she come forth and tell me her problems so we can work it out?

I'll listen.

Console her.

I'll be her warmth if I have too. She's not alone.

But I can't argue with her since she's not here. All this time I've been a fool to deny my deepest feelings for her. If I could confess, she would just run away from me. I let the cold air freshened me up and blew away my anger.

Now my regret was letting her go.