Chapter 12

I've been crying a lot lately, especially in front of people who shouldn't see me weak and fragile.

After training with the new recruits who gave me the eye that my appearance before them wanted me gone or be discriminating my gender since I am the first and only woman to be Commanding Officer.

I rode my mount all the way to Peach Blossom Village, which is now full of ashes. My horse slowly walk through my childhood as if life still lingers here but all I see is burnt wood and smokey air. This village used to be full of bloom of life and people, and peach blossom trees used to grow here giving its beautiful and rich features that represent this village. But now, it's all gone. Everything.

Farther past the village was my home. Same as the other homes, but was the only one that kept it structure.

Off the mount, I entered where I grew up. The wooden table where my parents and I eat together as a family, the wooden chair my mother use to thread clothes while father is out in the field. Then I entered  their bedroom only for two, this is where my parents slept, I remember whenever I have a nightmare I would go to their bed. Father snoring and mother cuddling with me as we giggled silently at father. I smiled to myself.

I looked to the other side where I slept. My bedroom. It was small but comfortable. There, lying on the dark wood floor laid the small doll that mother made for me, looks like me; long Raven hair and a mall gown. I named her Mulan. She's my special friend and the only thing I can talk to, if it can talk back but, I felt she understood me. As a child I wasn't much of a talker nor social with other children. Mulan was a real friend to me.

I picked up the doll held it against my chest. As my heart underneath felt broken. It hurt. Just by seeing the village, my home and my doll, everything that I left behind the parents I love and the people living here. It's gone.

Holding back my tears, I tuck my doll under my armor as I walk out of my home. My mount sniffing around looking for a grass to nibble. I spot the large bonsai tree very close to the edge of the cliff where I fell.

I approached the tree and saw two large rock craved with my parents name on each of them. Brought the scent sticks, lighting them up, than took out a small bowl with fruits and placed them next to my parents.

Sat on my heels, I laid my hands on the ground and dip my head three times before I said my greetings.

"Mother, Father," I began. "I'm back. I know I haven't come back to visit you for two years. You must've been angry at me that I didn't listen and gone to see the emperor like I'm supposed too," I bit my lower lips as I continued. "I'm unfilial daughter to you both..." Here comes the tears. "I'm so sorry...I shouldn't have gone to join the army and just obey. But only you understand that I didn't want to get married. You two were selling me off instead of sending me off. I felt hurt. Betrayed by my own parents who I thought loved me. But, I still love you two despite of your decision. And the cause of your death I'm to blame." I wiped my tears. "I swear under our God I will take vengeance against Khan. His blood will be the gift and both of you will finally live in peace in heaven."

I gave another bow to my parents grave before leaving this dark and isolated place. Never goodbye, but will see again.

I rode through the path heading back to the Jade palace. The sun still shining and the sky clear, I heard a falcon gliding above me. The sun brighten my eyes but I could spot the bird. It's probably looking for lunch. When I pinched my eyes a bit, I noticed the red mark underneath the body of the falcon. It may be high above but it was clear from down here.

"Bo?" That's Khan's annoying pet. The only falcon I know who has the marking of Khan's clan. Why is he here?

Bo kept gliding and circular motion above me. His gawked echoed the blue sky. If he's here then that means Khan is back on land.

The falcon then broke his formation heading to the south direction. Water Lily Village, that village is close by to Peach Blossom. I kicked my horse to kick up his speed following the bird. Khan had left last month to attack another village and another month had past he came back to destroy another. Why destroy mine two years ago and come back to destroy one last month at Cotton Silk Valley and now going for another. It doesn't make any sense.

I cried yelling at my horse to run faster through the road. The sounds of the hard hooves of my horse and his heavy breathing released from his nose as he pushed all his might to get to the village.

Reaching to Water Lily Village, I pulled the rein of my horse to halt at a full stop. The village was in no harm, it was peaceful and lively. I looked up at the sky, Bo disappeared out of site.

He played me. That bird was cunning like his master. Bo may had lead me here and now knows I was following him. He's going to inform Khan.

I grunted frustrating as I turned my horse around heading back on the road going to the palace to inform Zhao and Ling that Khan is back to strike another attack.