Chapter 38: Paradise

Tris POV

Rising falling.

Rising falling.

Brightness

Green

Blue

My eyes finally focused on the green grass in front of me as my chest would rise and fall. I was laying in an opening with a lake at my fingertips. The suns rays welcomed me with warmth as it smiled down at me from the sky.

I slowly put one leg under me, then the other and slowly stand. My white dress flows in the wind. I look down and notice it's not mine. It's loose and goes up to my knees. I'm barefoot which I don't mind with the soft grass I wiggle my toes giggling a bit.

Why am I here? It looks like a scene from a movie. I reach up to my hair to find it curled and partially up. My skin doesn't have one scratch on it, not even a scar.

I start to walk forward and put my feet in the cool clear water. This opening is huge. With towering beautiful green trees.

I turn around to see a man in all white in the distance. If I didn't know any better I'd say He was God. But why would I be seeing God if I wasn't dead? He smiles so kindly at me I want to run over to Him. But I can't move, someone is shouting at me from the other side of the opening. My smile fades as I turn around.

Four stands in a white suit frowning. He looks confused and concerned. As if he was afraid I would walk toward God. (A/N Veronica Roth mentions God) He doesn't say anything. Just stands there and stares. Soon his expression turns to shock then fear, then he disappears into the woods.

"Wait! Tobias! Where are you going don't leave me! Stay here with me, you can come with me!" I run through the forest trying to find him it felt like hours and hours but could've been just been a few minutes.

I stopped when I heard someone screech. Voices, a lot of them, laughing screaming and splashing. I walk toward the voice to see a cliff and the ocean. Teenagers were running off it and doing backflips into it, while one boy picks up a girl and throws her in sending her screaming into the vast ocean.

"Shauna?" I ask. I start to identify all the faces. Shauna, Zeke, Lynn, Zane, Christina, Will, Uriah, Marlene, Tobias, and me? I recognize where we are, Lake Michigan, not an ocean, we went cliff jumping here in eighth grade.

Four runs up to the other me and throws me in the water. I hear my screaming and a splash.
"I'm gonna kill you number boy!"
"Come on Tiny!"

I unconsciously laugh at that, our old hateful nicknames. I watch as Four jumps in following everyone else. I run after and look down. The stones beneath my feet give way and I plummet into the water back first.

The impact of the water felt like nothing but my dress clings to my body. Kicking I resurface and fill my lungs with air as my eyes flutter open. The sky is now scattered with stars and there's distant singing.

Sweet voices that harmonize perfectly, I slowly am drawn towards the voices climbing onto shore. The wind blows as I walk faster towards the voices noticing a small light. The tiny forest opening holds 12 people. My friends, Amar, and Tori. They play guitars and the drums singing along to campfire songs as we roast marshmallows.

Four sits next to me his hair pulled back in a man bun. This must've been freshman year if his hair was that long. He grabs a marshmallow and smashes into my face causing me to go into a fit of giggles.

"You twerp," I reply smashes some into his face while he just laughs. Soon I'm chasing him around the campfire with melted marshmallows as Amar shouts for us not to fall in the fire.

I walk closer when the fire explodes knocking me to the ground. Fire engulfs me, flickering and taunting me. A slight opening in the fire reveals a small girl coughing.
"Tris!" The voice echoes through the fire as I crawl towards the girl.

A young boy around thirteen picks her up carrying her out of the fire. I follow them as they leave the building. Ash covers him and he coughs up the smoke until he reaches the exit where Amar runs to the boy. He picks up the girl and shouts for help while holding the boy with his other arm.

"Beatrice!" My mothers voice rings as she runs towards the small girl. Seventh grade our lab caught on fire and I was trapped. Someone saved me. I didn't know who until today.

"Beatrice!" My mothers voice echoes and the next thing I know the building collapses.

I lay in the meadow once more with God standing in front of me this time. A book in his hands. It's brown and has designs on it.
"Child," he says and hands me the book, "You are the only one who can write the next pages."

I open the book to find the first page of my life. Each page a new event. I look up to ask a question but God is gone. Confused I look back at the book, and sit on a rock nearby.

I brush my finger over each picture that comes with the event and the picture comes to life, like some sort of video. Turning from page to page, things I remember and things I don't. I stop at a page with me and my mother at a funeral.

I sit next to my mother swinging my feet back and forth. My mother sits properly with her legs crossed and a sad expression on her face.
"Mommy? Why do you call her mommy now?" The five year old version of me looks up at my mother.

"Well honey they don't have a word for that, when you lose your child. They have orphan and widow, but nothing for when you lose your child," my mother gently explains.
"Why not?"
"Because losing your child is the worst thing that could happen to you."

I flip the page before she finishes when a question pops in my head.

Am I dead?

He said I would write the next pages of my life, am I in control of whether I live or die? Do I want to live?

"Shut up!" My voice shouts from the book. I shouted that at Four as he taunts me for something. Soon I flip the pages going through my life.

The day we were the boys servants.
When Four and I kissed so many times from dares, plays, or movies.
The Christmas where we through tampons at each other.
When Four saved me from Peter.
We tried to make Tori's replacement quit.
Four took me shopping.
The boys haunted us.
Truth or dare.
We traveled around the Midwest looking for Uriah.
When Jesse tried to rape me.
Four helped me get revenge.
I took peace serum.
I kissed Four at the game.
I found a dead body.
Tori and Amar's wedding.
Four and I's first date.
Punching Edgar.
Giving Amar a pink onesie.
New Year's night.
Going into Four's fear landscape.
Valentine's Day.
Saving Four.
Getting saved.
Doing Aladdin and so many plays and movies I lost track.
Telling my friends about Four and I.
And going through the levels.
Then the torture. The knifes, the cuts, being beaten.

Do I want to live?