Chapter 55: Hope

The water sends chills down my spine as another wave comes, going up to my ankles this time. The small pier I'm sitting on seems to get longer and longer as the minutes go by. My legs dangle over the edge as my toes barely skim the cold water, Four told me there was only one way to destroy the watch and that was to heat it to a certain temperature then cool it down and heat it up again, and other stuff like that. Since they are legit spy watches you can only destroy it with very complex instructions and I don't know if I'll ever get another.

So while Four's off doing God knows what to that watch I decided to come here, an almost completely abandoned beach, to think. Not the best idea because all I can do is worry, there is no positive outcome of this, it's either people stop dying now, or people continue to die, either way there's going to be a death toll. All I can hope is that my friends aren't apart of it.

"Hey!" A voice that's to familiar says from behind me.

Four's POV

Damn watches took at least two hours to burn, and right now that's the last thing I need. What I need is to either get the hell out of here, or go straight back into the fire.

Chicago is a complete war zone and my family and friends are back there, dead or alive I don't know. I scan the New Jersey sidewalks for Edgar or any of his followers, I still haven't figured out what they want with us, why go through all of the trouble of finding us, they could've just waited it out, so whatever it is, they're in a hurry.

I walk into a Culver's and buy a root beer for Tris knowing that's her favorite, and right now I just want Tris to smile. This whole time she's been so stressed out, which is understandable, but it's slowly killing me.

Keeping my head low I walk straight for our building. I bump into someone cause me to drop the root beer spilling it everywhere.
"Damnit!" I cuss glaring down at the spilling soda.

"Yeah blond's not your color mate," the voice that bumped into me says. My head shoots up to see him, Amar.

"Amar," I breathe.
"Duh," he shrugs with a ghost of a smile on his lips.
"Amar," I say again throwing my arms around my uncle. He lets out a low laugh and smacks my back.

Once we pull back from our little bromance moment his face turns serious again.
"No seriously you're like the ugliest blond I've ever seen," he grimaces. I just smile and shake my head, "C'mon we're staying in a conference building," I motion and almost
skip towards the building.

The streets roar with life, given any other circumstance Amar, Tris, and I all in Maryland on a vacation sounds like paradise.

Once we reach the two story building I notice Amar becoming more and more on his guard. His eyes dart and scale to every building, person, car, and pet on these streets.

Climbing the stairs I hear the sweet voice of Tris and a voice almost identical to hers. Swinging the door open my eyes widen at the sight of Tori.

Her smile just as bright given the situation we're in, and for a split second I felt like I was home.
"Amar!" I hear Tris shout before leaping into his arms. Amar lets out a small shout of joy as Tori comes and gives me a bear hug.

"Glad you're safe kid," Tori says looking me in the eyes in an almost soft way. She would've been such a great mother.

"Alright kids," Amar says after a beat, "It's time we get you home."

              +                    +

Tris's POV

The streets remind me of a cockroaches den, people running, scattering everywhere. The protesters make it hard see or hear anything. I feel Amar's hand on my back as he leads us through the crowd. People move out of our way as if we were royalty, but they know who we are, and they know why we're here.

Soon the crowds are no longer screaming but cheering, they chant different names but they all consist of the same four names, Amar, Tori, Tris, Four, our names echo through the streets of Chicago. We finally get to the front lines to see Factionless guards practically falling apart trying to keep us out. One in particular stands out, Edward.

Soon our eyes meet and my whole world seems to freeze, the noise subsides and I can't feel people shoving me anymore, all I can see is him.
"Edward," I breathe out.

"Tris! Come on we gotta go!" I hear Amar shout. I feel my arm being pulled at and the next thing I know we're in we made it into the school with no trouble at all.

"Remember the plan?" Amar asks all of us as we circle up. Nodding towards each other we all split. I feel Four grab my hand and in less than a split second our lips are connected.
"I love you," I say.
"I love you too," he says, "I'll see you soon."