Chapter 77: Balancing on Thin Lines

Life and death. I've been balancing on the thin line for a very long time now and I've always fallen back into life, this time it seems I do as well. Somehow my work on earth has yet to be complete and God once more would like to keep me in the world no matter how badly the world wants me out of it.

Falling, falling faster, faster than I can comprehend faster than light and sound, ten times faster than them. Until finally, I land, I land with a scream, I throw my body up from the bed as a scream lurches throughout my throat and fills the silenced room making everyone and everything in it jump with fright.

Here in the hospital room, my mother, father, brother, Four, Amar, and Tori, all stare. Once more in a hospital bed, once more so close to death, but life still seeps in me.
"Beatrice," my father mutters as my eyes scan the room and my throat raw.
"How long was I out this time?"

                                                                                   +++

"Are you sure?" I question Amar as he leads me to his office in school.
"Positive, but we don't know who's on his side," he takes a seat in his chair as I study his messy desk that seems to hold everything on it.
"Or we don't know whose side he's on," I state and Amar's eyebrows furrow together for a moment in confusion.
"Are you suggesting that Peter could be working for someone?" he questions.

We've already verified that it was Peter, or at least Peter's fault for the car accident and the oh so sentimental note left on my bedside reading, Get well soon Stiff should've worn a seat belt.
"Think about it, Peter and I hate each other sure, but Peter isn't smart enough to come at us on his own, he knows that he can't take on all 12 of us at once, not without help," I explain and Amar's face pinches together in worry and I begin to notice the worry lines that are forming on his face despite his young age.

"True," he mutters under his breath and I take a seat in a chair across from his desk, "But who else wants you dead? or at least frightened?" Amar questions and my mind races with a million thoughts at once and I gnaw at my lower lip in frustration.
"Who doesn't? I've been kidnapped by my enemies, your enemies, not to mention the countless amount of enemies my father has..." I trail off as I think of all his political enemies and almost feel sick to my stomach.
"Why did I have to be born into this damn life?" I mutter under my breath.

Amar let's out a long and worrisome sigh making my eyes travel to meet his. He looks decades older than he did when we were only in eighth grade despite it being barely 3 years, I feel a pinch of worry for him along with guilt as I realize he's been so worried about me lately he hasn't been able to watch over his wife who's been carrying his child.
"Go back to class Tris," Amar sighs in a light and soft voice making me question if he said anything at all, "I'll figure this out, you just need to focus on school."

I eye him for a moment as I purse my lips before standing slowly and approaching him, I wrap my arms around him tightly and he returns the hug in a moment.
"Take care fo yourself Uncle Amar," I murmur into his chest and feel it rumble in laughter at the name I called him. When I pull back and look at him he wears a soft smile and holds a certain amount of fatherly love in his eyes making me imagine how amazing of a father he's going to be to his actual child.
"I will kiddo, now go on you can't be getting bad grades cause of me," he nudges me out the door and before I'm completely out I call back, "Or get bad grades cause of all the people that want me dead." It's a cruel joke sure but a joke nonetheless which seems to be something we've been lacking lately.

Making my way down the hall I begin to wonder what my life will become when this is all over if it ever will be over. It seems every time I get myself out of a deadly situation I just get thrown into an even more deadly one and I'm barely even 16. Will I even make it past adolescence? Or will one of my enemies finally succeed in what they've been trying so hard to do?