Chapter 40: My Heart Beats for You

Tris POV

Yes

Yes

Yes I want to live.

"No you don't," a voice snarls. I look to my right to see me, she isn't wearing my clothes though, she wears a black flowing dress, black highlights and smokey eyes. The forest around her is dead and the sky a bloody red.

"Yes," another voice says to my left. I look to my left and see also me standing in the beautiful meadow I was before. Her hair is held up by pink flowers, and dress white as snow.

"What do you have there," Right asks me, "Nothing! Only a boyfriend who's been with every girl in the school."

"No! Don't think about that, think about how he loves you, how your family loves you!" Left says.

"Your family?" Right scoffs, "Your family heard about the accident and barely even flinched. Your father is getting old and will die soon anyways, your mother with him! Caleb, please he could care less about you! He'll be the only success in your family anyways."

I think about my dad, and how I noticed how tired he's been lately, how old he's starting to look.

"Think about what would happen if you did die," Left says. What would happen to Four, Amar, Tori, my friends, or my family?

"But think about what would happen if you lived!" Right growls. Would I get tortured again? Most likely. Chicago is such a dangerous place I am going to die young anyways, so why not now?

"Because you have to much to live for!" Left shouts.
"Like what? Should she live just to find death again!?" Right shouts.

"Live or die," Left says, "It's your choice."

Four's POV

I don't understand what's going on with her heart. It's beating in rapid paces, then stops, like she's using all her energy to live, then has none left. Or she's so close to death that she tries everything to live.

Doctors run in, some telling me to leave while the others examine Tris. Her family comes in, her father looking more tired than normal, her mother looks worried sick and Caleb looks pissed once he sees me.

"What are you doing here?" He scowls.
"Huh? Here to make fun of her because she's in a hospital bed and you're not?" Normally I get along really well with Caleb, I don't know why he just snapped.

When I don't answer I just look at Tris's heart monitor wondering what's happening. Caleb slams me into the wall.
"Hey hey hey!" I say while putting my hands up in defense.
"Don't you act like you care, don't you damn act like you care," he growls pinning me harder.

Mr. Prior rips him off me and I slowly put my hands down as he stumbles backwards.
"What's going on?" I ask the doctor.
"She's trying to live but she needs a little push," the doctor says.
"So what are you waiting for!?" I say getting extremely anxious.

"It's 4:00 a.m. In the morning, her doctor is at home sleeping right now, we called him but he'd never make it here in time, he lives about 40 minutes away," the doctor explains while putting a breathing mask on her.

"Amar," was the first thing I said.
"What?" The doctor asks.
"Um, he he's my uncle he was a navy seal, was taught a lot of things, also an FBI agent for half his life, he knows how to do some surgery with just sticks and stones," I explain.
"He's better than nothing, call him."

Tris POV

My head is still arguing with itself while I sit on a rock thinking.

Pros to living
I'll see my family again
Have a chance at a successful life
Have a chance with Four
Be with my friends again
And just live life again

Cons

My dad will get to stressed out and my mom with him
I'll get kidnapped more
Die young
Four turns out to be the jackass he was before
My friends are still mad at me

I don't want to live.

Amar's POV

I walk in the room ready to perform surgery. Her heart is beating irregular. It almost reminds me of sound waves.
"Four?" I say who's standing behind me.

"Look at the pattern."
"There's a pattern?" He asks.
"Yeah," I say walking towards it, "you can't tell though because the machine is pumping her heart at a different rate so it looks like her heart is just going crazy when really you take out that beat," I point to one beat, "then it's a pattern.

"What could it be?" He asks from behind me.
"I don't know, at least she stable," I say putting on some gloves.
"So I guess I have to go?" Four asks pointing to the door. I purse my lips and nod.

I glance at the monitor one more time.
"Wait!" I shout.
"It's you!"
"What?" Four asks.
"It's.. It's your name!" I exclaim.
"I don't get it?" He asks.
"If her heartbeat were setting off sound waves then the voice would be saying... Tobias," I explain.

"So her heart is beating for me?" Four whispers. I look back at him and he locks eyes with me.
"Yes."
"Amar can you do something for me?" I ask.
"Yeah."
"Please save her."

                      +              +              +

"No!" I say as Tris heart stops, "No! Come on Tris! COME ON!" I was halfway done with the surgery and her heart stopped, the only way she'll live is if she has the will to live.

Four's POV

We all sit and wait, all the boys, girls, my grandpa and her grandpa, Owen, Clare, Kate, George, Tori, Tris's family, even Eric and Edward showed up.

I sit there tapping my toe like crazy as we all wait without saying a single word. My heart pounds so loud I can't take it, there's a heavy weight of anxiety on my chest that won't go away and it's making it hard to breathe.

Soon I curl up in a ball on the chair closing my eyes.

In
Out
In
Out
Inhale
Exhale
Inhale
Exhale
Thump
Thump
Thump
Tick
Tock
Tick
Tock

That's when the door swings open to reveal Amar. Everyone jumps up waiting for an answer.

"It's done."