Chapter 60: What It's Like to be Alive

"Tris," Four's raspy voice echoes and the breathe that found it's way into my lungs quickly leaves.
"Tris," Four falls to his knees by the bed I find myself laying in, gripping my hand he cries. He cries the kind of cry that you pity, where you can feel the emotion seeping off of them as it fills the air.

I wanted to say something, to tell him I loved him. That's all I wanted, but my throat was so dry it felt like I hadn't drank in years. Reaching over Four's head I grab the glass of water resting by my bed side and let the cool liquid flow down my throat.

By the time I become more aware of my surroundings and am able to speak Tobias is still sobbing by my bedside.
"Tobias," the cracked word comes from my throat and his head shoots up, more tears streaming down his face faster than rain.

He leaps up and throws himself at me, holding me like fine china, not daring to break me.
"I love you," I whisper in his ear as my hospital gown becomes drenched in his salty tears.
"I.." he sobs, "I... I th..ought I lo..lost you," his words break between sobs and I feel my heart break at the pain I cause him.

"I'm sorry," my whisper gets lost in the wind as he pulls back and holds my face in his hands. It isn't until he wipes away a stray tear that I realize I'd been crying as well. He opens his mouth to say something but instead a silence falls between us, a silence that screams so many things.

The unspoken pain and emotions filling the room seemed to be enough. We stood there for thirty minutes, starring at each other as if denying that the other was there. A loud bang snaps us out of out gaze and a whole new aura fills the room as in storms Amar and Tori.

Tori lets out an ear piercing scream as she falls to the ground crying, the way her shoulders slump in relief suggest to me that she's been holding in all of her emotions as well. The second I make eye contact with Amar I almost regret it. His eyes hold something I've never seen before, an emotion almost unknown I couldn't even guess what it is.

His eyes held dark bags under them, his face bore more wrinkles than ever, and his hair was disheveled. He almost looked homeless standing there, maybe high. All I knew was his face held something different as he looked at me.
"Amar," I don't hear a sound come from my mouth but I know he read my lips.

Stumbling backwards and never breaking eye contact he escapes the room, head ducked low.
"Amar?" I say again despite him not being able to hear. I can't believe he just left me. Turning my head to Tobias, his eyes soften as our eyes connect putting me in the same trans as I was in before. Two slender arms wrap around me and I curl my arms around Tori's neck, at this point I become the sobbing mess as my aunt holds me like there's no tomorrow, but this time I know there is one.

"TRIS!" a scream blasts through the hospital halls and all eyes are on the sleep-deprived mess I would call Christina. I notice the others scattered around her, all starring in shock, that is until Uriah sprints towards me and leaps on the bed and soon enough everyone follows.

                                                                                            +++

"Andrew leave her alone we can talk about what happened later," my mom hushes my father as they both sit at the end of my bed. Apparently after they found me Jeanine got away, the shout I heard before I was out was Jeanine shouting at her guards to hold the door down because Amar finally found the laboratory and got in with a some of the militaries help. My father has been talking nonstop since I woke up about how he's going to take Jeanine down, and by the way he talks about her I can tell him and Jeanine were once upon a time friends.

"Dad, mom?" I say I a hushed tone and both their eyes were immediately on me, concern laced in their features.
"Could I rest for a while?" a small smile played along my lips as I felt somewhat guilty kicking them out after being unconscious for a month.
"Yeah of course honey," my mother walks around so she's right next to me, after both my parents grope me and five minutes of trying to get them out the door they finally leave me alone.