Promise?

In a time of peace, prepare for war.

"Arrival of the Luna?"
I looked up at him shocked. I just got here, and no one knew that I was human. There was still so much to be revealed and so many opportunities for my secrete to be revealed.

"Yes, my position here is to be shared with my mate, the Luna." Andrew was trying his best not to direct me like he did his pack mates, but I could also hear in his voice that this wouldn't be up for much discussion.

"But - I'm not one of you. I hardly deserve to be here, much less become anyone's Luna." The words were soft to not anger or offend Andrew, but it was the truth. Was there no other beast more suitable for this position? One who could do a better job?

"Why do you keep calling our people monsters?" I could hear it in his voice, the pain he wasn't letting me see on his face when I called his people anything but my people.

"I'm not used to the thought of all of you yet. I'm just not able to just call them my people like you can. I have to get to know everyone, meet them and trust them before I can consider them my friends and even family." I looked at him, a frown pulled on my lips. "I don't think I can do this, is there really no one else?"

Andrew grabbed my hand with a reassuring smile, one that was genuine and reassuring. He took a deep breath before answering. "There are no other candidates for this role, it belongs to you and you alone will have it." He rubbed his thumb gently over my knuckles to soothe me. "I want you to understand that I'm not placing any of this responsibility solely on you. I didn't drag you into my life just to say 'fuck you' and make you do this on your own. I am still the Alpha."

I let out a nervous breath unsure how to respond to him. His words were powerful, and definitely made me feel better, but were they true? Anyone who has been in power can manipulate a situation for patrons.

Andrew sighed and drew a breath like he had more to say to me, but he hesitated a moment, eyes glazed over. Concerned, I had grabbed his arm out of reaction, not sure what had happened. He squeezed my hand, "I'm okay," and his eyes returned to the stunning blue. He looked at me for a moment before reality had caught up to him and a deep frown grew from the corner of his mouth. "I have to punish the man from earlier. The one who hurt you."

He slowly got up from the bed and rubbed his forehead, a habit I became familiar with. He didn't mention the change in his eyes from a moment ago so I didn't pressure him for an answer.

"He didn't know who I was Andrew, he thought I was trespassing ."

He wouldn't look at me. "He should have smelled me on you. Besides, he deserves to be punished for his interaction with that she-wolf. His abuse of power and assaulting his Luna -" He took a step in advancement, grabbing my face more gently than I had anticipated. "That is an offense I can't ignore."

"Will you kill him?" I brought my hand to lay against the one on my face. He would listen to me more if I mimicked his motions. I thought back to the vent downstairs, remembering something unusual that I had walked into. I didn't think Andrew would consider that even if I did bring the idea up, so I tried to get into the same mindset as him. "Death is too easy."

He rolled his eyes, catching on to what I was doing. Pulling his hand away from me, he crossed his arms. "You don't really believe that, you want him alive. How has he gained your mercy? Do you not recall what he did to you?"

"Because it's not right and you know it, Andrew. There have been many who have hurt me before, but they weren't murdered for it! And I'm not even sure what was going on before I had gotten there, but the two of them - they reminded me a bit of us."