Heart Beats

......................................................................

With my soul made of fire, I will burn everything just to love you.

......................................................................

"Wake up baby. Come on, open your eyes."
I groaned at such an intrusion, cringing against the light as I started to come to. My stomach ached, the feeling leaving me nauseated. They were talking so loud, the lights blinding and uninviting.

I opened one eye to see Andrew leaning over me, blocking the direct light from meeting my eyes so I could adjust. Cason stood beside him, giving me a faint smile before checking a monitor near him. We were in the doctor's office, again. This time we weren't alone, I could hear some hushed voices of others in the room too, looking at them wearily before Andrew brushed my face with his fingers. "How are you feeling, my moon? You okay?"

"No." I groaned out, bringing my hands to rub my eyes.

Andrew etched closer, clearing his throat before speaking again. "What can I do to make you feel better?"

"Shoot me." I could hear some pack members chuckle and some others smiled. I tried to play it off as a joke, forcing a smile even though death at this moment would be appreciated. Andrew smiled slightly with the nod of his head, his fingers trailing mindless nothings over my hand. I knew he was upset, I remember the way his face was engraved with so much anger and sorrow when we had seen all of the lost pack mates. Although I couldn't make him feel better at the moment with all the attention in the room, I gave him a smile.

Andrew looked at me a bit longer before turning his head slightly in the doctor's direction.
"Can you give her some more pain relievers? "

"I can," He started, turning back around with medication ready in his hands. "- but you'll have to give her some blood too."

"Anything." Andrew finished, already tossing his hand for them to cut open again. While they did, the pack members took advantage of the time and began to attack with their excitement.

"We didn't know you were human, Luna. We would have never expected you to fight alongside us if we had!"

"We had all wondered before about your pheromones' but we hadn't recognized the scent."

"We're happy to have such a nice human at that, one that will lead us as well as you will."

"A human mated to one of us? The books haven't said anything about it happening before. Please excuse our ignorance."

Fear struggled to surface from within me. They knew and everyone seemed too far ahead in their knowledge for a thin white lie to change their minds. I wanted to deny everything they were saying for the sake of Andrew's reputation, but how could I deny what I am when they already knew so much?

"It's okay - I had to tell them. They were beginning to grow agitated knowing that their Luna wasn't healing like they were. Are you really feeling okay? You almost - You gave me a heart attack, you know." Andrew planted a kiss at my temple, his arm draining blood through an IV.

"How many were attacked?" I remembered seeing the bodies when I was laying on the carpet. I couldn't be the only one attacked.

"Four other mates were attacked and all of them have been fatal. That means eight wolves in all."

I didn't answer. Eight wolves? Those eight were supposed to be under our leadership, ones we were to protect. It pained me to think that we could've added to that number so easily.