Challenging A Luna

......................................................................

The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.

......................................................................

Andrew had held my hand the entire time as we lingered among the pack, instantly being greeted by others. Our first event of the day was at the arena, Andrew taking me to a special seating area for us that overlooked the entire pit and stadium. We sat in a couple of chairs, my eyes watching as the pack began to fill the stone bleachers, easily filling the entire space.

Dameon stood behind us with a few others, always keeping a watchful eye out as they looked towards the pack. Brooklyn and James had parted with us earlier, finding seats a little ways away from us as they readied to watch.

Looking at everyone, they seemed to know exactly what to do like it was rehearsed. Even Gale sat with a group around him, all in a light discussion like he had belonged here the entire time. As if he felt me looking at him, Gale's face turned slightly in my direction, our eyes meeting as Gale stopped speaking. I realized I had been staring, offering a small smile as he waved to me before returning to his conversation. I looked over at Andrew, "What do we do now?"

"We do nothing but sit and watch. Someone will enter the pit, challenge another for their position and they will fight it out until one surrenders, usually. The winner gains the position fought for and everything else that was offered. Now, if a wolf is challenged and doesn't accept it, then the challenger gains the title and rewards immediately." Andrew tried to explain it to me in a way that I could understand, filling my mind with some examples as reference.

Almost as if on cue, a challenger rose from the roars of encouragement, jumping from the stands and landing smoothly in the dirt. He stepped closer towards the middle, waving away the cheering so that he could speak.

"I - Alexander Graham, challenge the Blood Moon's Beta Dameon Stone, for his position and mate, Celestia Stone!" My mouth parted at such a bold challenge, my attention swept over to Dameon as he stiffened behind us. He released a snarl, as he glared down at Alexander.

The pack grew wild as they waited to see the outcome, my eyes wanting to meet with Andrew's to see what he thought of this, but he looked intently ahead at the arena. "Come back Dameon, will ya?" Andrew didn't even look at him for a response, though Dameon never offered one.

Dameon stormed out of our lounge area without another word, stalking down towards the pit in a heap of nerves. He jumped down into the pit swiftly, Dameon taking off his shirt so that it wouldn't get ruined in the fight.

A woman yelled in anguish from the edge of the pit with long black curly hair that was catching in the wind. She swiped it away, gently walking the steps as she entered the arena too, but clung to the wall and away from the tension in the middle. Celestia Stone.

May something watch over Dameon now, and let him return back to Celestia.

Andrew grabbed my hand, pulling my attention away from reluctantly. "You should be careful when underestimating my Beta. There's only a few who could fight me equally, and Dameon just happens to be one of the few."

"How long do the fights last?" I asked, my head turning to look back at the group in the center.

"Until death or surrender." Andrew's words sounded a little colder now as his attention was also on Dameon and Alexander.

"But if Dameon dies, then his mate is no longer an offer, right? Doesn't this fight mean risking the prize?"

Andrew looked at me then, his eyebrows pulling together as he frowned a bit. "There's no way I'd leave without a fight if losing you was at risk. Death seems more inviting than giving you up to any other man."