Battle Moves

Death is not optional for a Monster.
What about Love?

I snuggled into the smooth sheets that gave me very little heat, my fingers reaching to explore the space beside me hoping to find some heat from next to me. Nothing but the cool air against the sheets accompanied my touch. I slowly opened my eyes, drawing my hand back to me when I noticed that nobody lay beside me to offer it.

No Andrew.

I debated laying there for a moment, taking a glance towards the window to tell what time it was. The light was bright, but not harsh. I could hear muffled yelling coming from outside but it didn't sound serious. I lifted myself out from undeath the covers and went to the window to see what the commotion was about.

Pulling back the drapes, I could see large groups of people of different ages gathered around a pit. The pit sunk into the ground giving it a arena look to it. I could see a small circle formed around a few in the center.

Andrew was among them.

Almost as if he knew I was watching, he threw a boy to the ground harshly, not giving him a second to react before going in on him again and giving him another blow.
The boy sat up and puked thick blood into the dirt. Andrew finished him off with a blow from his boot to the boy's head.

I rushed towards the closet and grabbed myself some shorts and a shirt, the adrenaline and concern for that young boy rushed me to hurry. After tugging on some sneakers, I hurried to get out of the room. I handled the stairs quickly, trying not to hurt myself again and not strain my ankle.

There was a woman at the front door this morning, opening it for me as I neared. She lowered her head when I gave her a smile, which I was thankful for because I wouldn't know how to have a conversation with her.

I walked past her and raised my hand to the sun to shield my face.

"Emily. Emily is outside." I could faintly hear the thought, almost as if it wasn't meant for me to hear. I turned to see him, standing beside me like he had just gotten there as well. Andrew greeted me. "Good morning."

"Did you kill him?" My voice was panicked, Andrew's hand going to rub the length of my arm.

"Kill who, my love?" His eyes scanned my face, looking for any indication for my panic.

"The boy!" I looked past Andrew and towards the pit, wanting to catch a glimpse of him to see if he was alright.

"What boy?" Andrew turned lazily towards the direction he came from, he scrambled through my memories from this morning until he found it - the moment I had watched and worried over. "Oh. That one." He moved to block my view of the depress in the earth, pulling me closer towards him so he could get a better hold of me. "Nah he's fine and alive."

"Andrew, I saw blood." I failed trying to maneuver around him, knowing my best option was to stay put until he let go of me.

He threw back his head with a groan, dramatizing his words to relax me. "And what could you do for him, give him a band aid and kiss his wounds?" Andrew sighed, a smile grew on the corner of his perfect lips. "The least you could do is tell your Alpha good morning back. Maybe a kiss or two if you're feeling so compelled."

I rolled my eyes as my own smile grew, Andrew's hold on me loosened. "Good morning, Andrew."

"How obedient." He leaned downward, kissing the top of my head before pulling my arm to walk with him. "Come, I'll show you how we train." We walked to the pit slowly, Andrew's hand on the small of my back as he helped me walk over uneven ground. When we neared, I realized it was structured as a arena than just a crater in the earth. Dirt and sand filled the bottom and the sides were aligned with rock. I tried to not pay too much attention to the stained blood splatters.