What I Deserve

Souls recognize each other by the way they feel.
Not by the way they look.

Andrew's pov...

Fuck me.

When I had gained consciousness, Emily was slumped on the floor beside me, neatly in my hold. Gale was with us now, responding to my mind link right away when I had noticed something wrong with Emily. Even so, he was above me yelling as if the world had caught on fire and it only got on my nerves more.

I forced myself to stand as Cantu lifted Emily from the floor, blood and amniotic fluid falling from between her thighs at a rapid pace. I woke completely, stumbling against Gale's hold as he tried to help stabilize me. I gawked at her pale complexion and her lifeless body, unsure if it was the pain or the shock that took her out.

"Cason is waiting for you both, Alpha." Gale informed as he nodded for Cantu to carry Emily down, helping my weakened state to follow along behind them. I was proud of them for handling this situation with perfection, staying calm while they rushed us to the doctor's office.

Doctor Cason had been ready for us when we arrived, standing anxiously by the opened door as he hurried us inside. Emily had tried to wake several times but the pain was too much for her and she failed each time, Cantu resting her on the bed as I took a seat next to her.

Her cry of pain brought me back, her eyes shooting open and her hand reaching for me. She was waking completely now, begging for help with her body that I could only feel. I clasped my hands in hers standing at her side and being whatever she needed me to be.

"Only us three will be in the room." I growled at Cason through gritted teeth, the pain rolling down my lower back and groin uncomfortably. Gale and Cantu got the message, leaving the office right away as we began.

Sweat was beginning to form on her face and I gently fanned it away, the headache I was feeling made my jaw clench and bison blurry. Emily opened her eyes, confused until she recognized me in the room.

See, Emily recovered as soon as she opened her eyes. Pushing away the pain like it was nothing and preparing herself for the next one. Then, there was me and my - situation. I feel as if I am about to buckle at the pain now, much less have to ready for another.

Moon Goddess, how did I receive such a brave woman? Emily looked at my state, watching how much I was also enduring and she loosened her grip on my hand. I chuckled a bit, that she would really think to comfort me like this. Her teeth chattered in pain, unable to speak verbally, I noticed the welcoming buzz of our minds joining together as she spoke to me.

"Don't give up on me now . I need you to be strong so that I can be strong." She struggled to speak to me, her mind clouding from the medication Cason was giving to her. I selfishly wished we could stop the medication here so that she could continue speaking with me like this, at least giving me that.

I gave her a nod of reassurance, cracking my shoulders and back. "I'm here, I'm right here." I toughened out the aching in my thighs and ass, wondering if sitting would feel any better. I brushed the hair away from her face, our grip on each other signaling down to one hand.

"You look beautiful, my moon."

She looked at me and narrowed her eyes. "Bullshit." She pulled her hand away from mine so that she could grip the side of the bed as another ripple of pain hit us. My mouth fell open, the air leaving me as I fell forward across the bed and caught myself on the rail.

Cason warned me with his scent before he approached us, looking at Emily as he began to sanitize her skin for a needle. "The Luna will not be able to perform a natural birth. Not right now - the risks are too high!"

"Is the baby alright?" My breath flowed with a pant, my lungs never filling properly since this all began.

"The baby is ready to come, now. Premature I can only assume, but with the size I'm expecting it to be -" He readied the syringe that would soon fill Emily's arm, one that meant we were going into a c-section soon. " - just the right size for survival for both parties."

"Do it, I know what's going on." Emily had gritted the words, looking at the two of us with struggling breaths. She had read my mind after I had read Cason's and knew what she was about to endure.

Cason gave her the medication as he prepared the table he would need to continue the procedure. Emily's grip on mine loosened thankfully and she began to feel a lot better and her body was relaxing.

My hand would have broken.

"Breathe Luna." Cason urged as the medication began to take effect and Emily was losing feeling in the lower half of her body. He had warned me that she wouldn't be able to see, feel or move much during this process but would still be awake. I could feel her body going into a sleeping state, relieving me of some of the pressure rolling down my back. "The baby is coming."

"No shit." Emily had managed to growl, surprising both Cason and I. He only smiled, trying to sympathize with her before continuing.

I smoothed her hair flat and dabbed away the sweat from her face, the weak smile growing on her lips while I was with her made it all worth it to me.

Calling upon my unnatural powers, I had to concentrate past the pain in order to absorb anymore. I rested my hand against her arm while Cason raised the scalpel, Emily watching what was happening through my mind because she couldn't bring herself to watch it on her own.

"I'll need your help, Alpha Blood." Cason warned me as the gloves on his hands began to turn bloody. It would be hard to watch Emily be cut open like this, my powers also only being of use to Emily if I am touching her or she is needing my blood. I was conflicted to leave her side, my sole purpose was to make sure that she was alright and be there for her.

We had prepared for this, stocking the office with my blood anytime I could donate so that if she needed it today it would be here. Although I had requested the room be limited to the three of us, Cason had explained that we would be able to handle it and if not - a few other physicians in the pack would be waiting on standby.

"What can I do?" I stood at Cason's side, glancing nervously at my mate who stared up at the ceiling in worry.

Cason instructed me with his mind, offering me visuals of how it should be done. I did the best I could, grimacing every time Emily did from what she could feel. He bent her knees and made her sit up a little more on the bed. She complied and did her best to hold in her complaints.

His hand dove inside her opened stomach, requesting help as he began to pull the baby out. My ears felt numb as the sound in the room muffled, my hands moving as Cason instructed until I was holding the baby in my arms. My eyes widened when I couldn't hear it breathing.

"It's normal, Alpha." Cason took the baby from my hands, resting it against a clean surface before performing CPR. I could hear the small gasp of breath before the wailing began, the cold that was sweeping through me now was fading after seeing the rise and fall of it's chest. "C-section babies just need a little push."

I looked up at Emily, her beautiful face was relaxing now and a sigh escaped her mouth when she heard the baby crying. She smiled at me weakly, eyes wandering over the baby in Cason's arms as he wrapped it in a blanket. "Congratulations on the healthy baby boy!"

Emily was handed the baby and I watched my world make sense, finally understanding why we had to go through the pain before we could earn the beauty. The baby hushed in her arms instantly, recognizing who she was before his dark hair could dry from his head. Emily was crying in happiness, holding our boy close to her as she held him for the first time. I swiped at my face with my palm, trying my best to stop my crying.

Holy shit. We did it!

Cason smiled slyly, nodding towards the baby. "You may want to grab him from her, she still has some work to do." Emily and I froze, our gazes sliding over to Cason's before my hands were filled with our baby. Cason stood in between Emily's legs, glancing at the monitors he had connected to her. "We're not done, Alpha Blood."