Too soon

The tired sunsets and the tired people.
It takes a lifetime to die and no time at all.

A full two months into pregnancy and I wished someone could end my misery. My back was aching, though it wasn't helping that I was sitting on the arena dirt beside Gale. We were watching Andrew and Dameon give the bunched warriors instructions for a game they were about to play, told to stay out of the way as best as possible.

Andrew looked over at us nervously every few minutes for reasons that remain hidden to me. His glare to the man beside me confirmed most of my doubts, there was still some caution towards Gale.

Gale noticed the additional attention today, he nudged my arm and Andrew looked away from us. "Does he always glare like that?"

"No Gale, just when he is being dramatic."

"Oh good." Gale sighed sarcastically. "I was starting to think he didn't like me."

I chuckled beside him, surprised Andrew hadn't caught on that Gale knew he was being extra cold to him. Gale was my friend, and the transition between packs was hard for him to get used to and I was trying my best to make the situation better.

Gale quickly turned his attention to a rowdy group of wolves in the corner who readied for the game. "That's a very dangerous bunch."

"How do you know?" I was bored and mentally dying from lack of excitement, trying to keep focused on anything that entertained me. I was starting to grow hungry again which meant my patience was running thin.

"Look at them." Gale crossed his tan arms over his chest, nodding over to them when he had noticed a few looks this way. "They are evenly spread between genetics, some with muscle, others with speed. All with stamina." Gale laughed lightly beside me, turning his gaze away from them after we had drawn their attention. "And they all reek of bad attitudes and testosterone."

"Andrew could take them."

"You think so? All of them?" Despite Gale's thick Spanish accent, I could hear the hidden challenge in his voice.

Yes definitely.

"Maybe they will stick to their corner then." I placed a hand over my stomach at the increase of movement, deciding that I wasn't the only one uneasy. I looked over at Andrew again who had his back to me now, his attention focused on dividing teams. "You should be careful around that group in the far corner. Gale says they are trouble."

I could see his muscles flex underneath his skin at my voice. "You should be careful around Gale. He is trouble."

"I'm being serious. Please be careful." I rolled my eyes at his attitude, Andrew had become highly protective of me and the baby recently and didn't like when anyone other than him was around us.

"You stay careful." Andrew listened to my warning despite his arguing, leaning over to share a few words to Dameon. I relaxed myself against the wall again, the sun glaring harshly at us today which made me want to stick to the cool shadows.

Gale noticed my unease and boredom, maybe even hearing my stomach growl. "Are you hungry? I can go grab something if you'd like."

I jumped at the offer, a burst of cravings filling my mind as I looked at Gale with a growing smile. "I want a peanut butter sandwich - with two layers of peanut butter on each slice of bread."

Gale stood with a laugh, knowing that this had been my request for days. "I'll be right back, stay here."

I almost wanted to go with him to get out of the humidity for a little bit, the tops of my shoulders starting to turn pink from the sun and it was hardly afternoon. I had come out here to watch the game though, and I risked missing it if I decided to leave now. They were getting started, Andrew had announced a game of capture the flag and everyone was starting to spread out. The flags were none other than two helpless 'volunteers' of Dameon's choosing, picked specifically because Dameon liked to pick on the younger ones.