Chapter 38

"Niall?" Ella squeaks. "What are you doing here?"

"I always take a walk, everyday around this time. Well, when I'm home at least." He replies and shoves his hands into his pockets.

Ella nods and stands up quickly. "Ah well, I...um, have to go. I need to get back-"

"Ella," Niall interrupts, brows furrowing together. "I think we need to talk..."

She takes one step back as he takes one step forward. "I'm actually...I've gotta-"

"Please Ella. It's really important. I don't know when I'll ever accidentally bump into you again." He mumbles and looks down at his feet.

She wraps her jacket tighter around her and looks at him. "Fine, but are you al-"

"Alone? Yes, she's not in town today, if that's what you're wondering." He replies.

"Ah, very well then." She clears her throat. "Shall we take a walk then?"

He nods slightly and they start walking together, keeping their distance. They remain silent for a while, letting the sounds of leaves distract them.

"How have you been?" Niall asks, clearing his throat.

"I've been good, mostly busy," she replies and kicks at a stone. "And you?"

"Busy as well, but not as so," he looks around. "How's your parents?"

"They're doing pretty good."

"That's great," he reaches her his phone in his back pocket. "So, I saw you were at Liam's party?"

"Ah yeah, I was in town and we caught up. He invited me so I went." She rubs her eyes.

"Yeah, we barely speak but he still invited me." Niall throws something and returns his attention to the conversation. "I also saw you were a guy? How's he? Is he treating you well?"

She nearly trips over herself. Oh shit....

"I'm....um...he's good."

"Great."

"I heard you've been dating a model??" She asks, eyeing him.

He chuckles lightly and shakes his head. "Hm, Emily? Yeah I guess."

They are halfway done with the walk. Niall is throwing little stones randomly.

"So, what I really want to talk about was that day." He stops in his trails. "I just need to get a few things off my chest."

"Niall," Ella says and shakes her head. "Please, don't."

"Ella, I have to. I just...need to."

"But not here," she looks around. "What if someone catches us?"

"Why would that matter?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Because," she says. "You have a girlfriend. Imagine everyone seeing Niall Horan with his ex girlfriend."

"Ah yeah," he sighs and pulls his keys out. "Cmon, let's go to my place. We can speak there."

"Don't you live further away?" She asks as he starts walking back. "I have a hotel down the street."

"Wait," he stops in his tracks and turns to her. "Hotel? Aren't you staying at your old apartment?"

"Apartment?" She asks, sounding confused. "No? I've been back home. This is my first time returning. Why would I stay in my old apartment? I thought you would have sold it...."