Chapter 9

"Mate," Liam says as he throws peanuts at Niall's head. "Are you even listening?"
Niall shakes his head and blinks back to reality. "Ah yeah sure am."
"You totally weren't! You had that look on your face," Liam frowns. "Whatcha thinking about?"
"Oh, it's just I have a date with Ella tonight," Niall bites on his thumbnail.
Liam raises an eyebrow. "An actual date?"
He nods in confirmation. "Yeah, but I don't know where to take her."
"Movie and dinner," Liam replies. "The usual thing."
"Noo, that's boring." Niall taps his fingers on the table. "What about an amusement park?"
"That'd be cool I guess," Liam shrugs. "When are we going to meet her?"
"You and Zayn will eventually." Niall looks at his phone and sees a text from Ella.
"Hiiii. I'm tired :( i can't wait for our actual date! X"
She put an x. Oh?...no, it's just a regular X. Nothing to worry about.
"I'm with Liam. He said hi. I'm sorry :/ and I can't wait either." He replies quickly before Liam chunks him another peanut.
"Does Louis even know that you two are actually going on a date?" Liam asks.
"No, he doesn't know we're going out tonight. I just want us to chill and relax." He grabs his cup of hot tea and takes a sip. "Plus, he'd throw a fit if he knew."
"Right," Liam clears his throat. "So, are you starting to like this girl?"
Niall looks down at his tea and shrugs. Are feelings actually forming for her?
"I don't know honestly," he says. "She's a great, beautiful girl. But...I'd like to get her to know better on a personal basis."
Liam grins and leans back against the chair. "Mmhmm, just you wait Niall. One day, your feelings will be so strong, you'd do anything for her."
-------------
"Where are you taking me?" Ella asks as Niall pulls out of her flat's parking lot.
"You'll see," he replies. "I think you'll like it."
She pokes his side. "It better not be bungee jumping or something. I'm scared of heights."
"Really? Hmm, I'll keep that in mind if you ever annoy me," he teases.
She punches his arm, causing him to chuckle. "I will forever hate you!"
"Sure you will," he says and grabs her hand. "Don't worry, no heights involved."
"Good, if I find you're lying, I will walk back home." She squeezes his hand then pulls it away. "Anyway, did you not tell Louis?"
"Nope. Don't want him to know," Niall glances over at her. "He'll be pissed that I'm taking you on a date."
"Yeaaahh." Ella adjusts her seat belt. "Do you think he will eventually? Find out I mean."
"Eventually, yes. But he shouldn't be so pissed off. It's not like, a real date. It's not like I'm going to take you out then later take advantage. I just want to hang out, no cameras. I want a public outing with no acting, just normal stuff." Niall stops at a red light and looks at her. "I just want us to have a fun time with no worries of cameras or anything. I want to know you better."
"But, what if people spot us?" She asks.
"That's why where I'm taking you is sort of private." He says. "Trust me, it's going to be fun."
Ella nods in agreement. "All right. But remember what I said. Heights and I walk home."
----------------------------
"Oh gosh! Really? That had to suck," Ella says as they walk around the amusement park.
"It really did. My music teacher wouldn't let me go, so I peed my trousers," Niall replies. "It had to be done."
Niall has taken her to an amusement park. It's quite small with not many people. But it was still nice though.
Ella laughs and hugs her stuffed bear that she won at a basketball game. "But you were 12! I would have understand if you were 5 or 8, but damn!"
Niall shakes his head and pops a piece of cotton candy into his mouth. "I had to go really bad! I couldn't just walk out like nothing! I would have been in so much trouble."
She smiles and nudges his side. "I guess that says a lot about you since you're, you know, not able to control yourself."
Niall looks at her, wide eyed, and pushes her gently. "Heeey! That is not true! I am not p..pre-mature! I'm very much far from it!"
Ella bursts out laughing. "Oh my gosh! I had to! Ha! I'm so sorry. Please don't hate me."
Niall crosses his arms across his chest and scoffs. "I'll be glad to tell you I am not pre-mature. I can very well control myself. Thank you very much!"
She smirks, eyes full of mischief, and pokes his cheek. "Sure you are Niall. Sure."
-----------------------------------------
"Thanks for the awesome night," Ella says, leaning against her door.
"No problem! It was really nice to just hang out, although some people did recongize me." Niall smiles and shoves his hands in his pockets.
"Ahh, it was no big deal." Ella replies and pulls her jacket tighter around her. "I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Uhh, maybe. I have a busy week ahead of me actually." Niall shrugs. "I honestly have no idea."
"That's okay, I sort of have plans with my friends. I was...I was going to ask you if you want to join." Ella asks. She looks up at Niall and offers a small smile.
"Oh? Well, I...I don't know." Niall watches as Ella's smile turns down in a frown.
"Ohhh, okay. That's fine. I was just wondering. It's okay..."
Niall sighs and opens his arms slightly. "Do I get a hug for tonight at least?"
She nods and he sees a smile forming on her lips. She walks into his arms and hugs him tightly. "Thank you again for tonight. I had a blast."
"You're welcome. Maybe we'll do another normal date next time."
"Yeah, I'd like that." Ella squeezes him one last time before letting go.
Niall pinches her cheek softly and plants a kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight Ella."
She closes her eyes and nods. "Goodnight Niall. I'll see you around."
------------------------------------------
It's been a couple of days since they've last seen each other. Niall has been busy traveling for work. They text each other when they can though. However, Ella has been out with friends, especially with Dean. And of course, paps have spotted them together, but made nothing of it. But that doesn't help the tinge of jealousy that Niall has. Although he is afraid to admit the truth that he is getting feelings for her.
So when Niall arrived back home in London, the first thing he did was call Ella. She immediately picked up.
"Niall!" she says, sounding a bit excited.
"Hey there." Niall plops down on the bed and grins. "What you doin'?"
"I actually have the day off, so nothing. Besides sitting on the couch, watching Friends while eating cookies."
Niall laughs and rolls over onto his stomach. "That counts for something right? Anyway, I was wondering if you'd want to hang out at my place or something?"
Ella pauses for a moment. "Um...sure! Why not?"
Niall rolls over onto his back and sits up. "Sweet! Okay, I'll pick you up in..an hour? Let me clean up a bit because I just got home."
"Yeah that's fine. Gives me time to get ready. I've been lounging around in my PJs all day."
"Yeah, oh! How about you meet my two other mates? Liam and Zayn have been dying to meet you." Niall asks. "Ah! I can also ask the two love birds to come along too."
"Sure, that'll be fine. I'll see you in about an hour yeah?"
"Yeah, see you then." He hangs up and hops off the bed. "Okay Horan, you must text the guys but first...a shower!"
------------------------------------
"It's nice to see you again," Ella gives him a tight hug and buries her face in his chest.
"It's nice to see you too." Niall squeezes her and plants a kiss on the top of her head. "Did you have fun while I was away?"
Ella laughs and looks up at him. "Do you really have to ask?"
He smirks and lays his hand against her lower back. "Nah. I'm glad you did though."
"It was okay." She shrugs. "Dean sort of pissed me off though."
Niall raises his eyebrow and stares at her. "What do you mean?"
"He...well, the last night we hung out, he sort of...tried to make a move."
Niall furrows his brows together. "Really now? I thought you two didn't have anything going on."
"We don't! He was...drunk. I guess he didn't realize that he was trying to kiss me." Ella blinks back the memory. "It was so awkward!"
Niall's mouth forms into a firm line. He's not frustrated at Ella, he's frustrated with himself. He knows he shouldn't be this bothered by Dean's motives. He is just a friend. And Niall really shouldn't be getting feelings for Ella...
"He's a guy. And you're a very pretty girl, can't say I blame him." He gives her waist a light squeeze. "C'mon, enough of this. Let's get going before the guys arrive."
--------------------------------------------
"Ella! It's so nice to meet you finally!" Liam says, embracing her in a bear hug.
"Unnggh, hello Liam. Nice to meet you too. You trying to kill me?" Ella says. Liam laughs and sets her feet back on the ground.
"Sorry! I'm just happy he finally introduced us!" He gives Niall a look and winks.
"Hi, I'm Zayn. And don't worry, I won't kill you." He says, quickly giving her a hug.
"Hi Zayn! Very nice name!" Ella grabs her soda and takes a sip. "Where are the love birds?"
"They said they'll try to come," Niall replies as he puts the chicken in the oven so it can bake. "But I'm cooking a shit load of nuggets just in case."
"Nuggets? Tired much?" Zayn asks as he drinks his beer.
"Sort of." Niall walks over to the small group near the counter. He stands by Ella and casually puts an arm around her shoulder. Ella instinctively leans into him.
"So how are things going? Any toughness with the job Ella?" Liam asks and fixes his sweatpants.
"Everything is going pretty well, for now. Niall is a great guy, so nothing tough has happened."
"Right, how long is this going to go on?" Zayn asks.
"Until Niall sends me away," she pokes his stomach and he flinches away.
"Isn't Horan a pain in the ass though?" Liam says, grinning.
"Haha! No, well, sometimes."
"Heeeyyy!" Niall crosses his arms across his chest. "I am not a pain!"
"Kidding! He's a cool guy most of the time." She hugs him tightly and giggles as he tries to wiggle his way out.
"You all suck." Niall sticks his tongue out, causing everyone to laugh. "Now, shall we watch a movie while we wait for dinner to be ready?"
----------------------------------------
"They were really nice guys, funny too," she says opening the door to her flat. "Zayn can chug those beers pretty damn quick though."
"That's why Liam didn't drink as much," Niall says and follows her inside the small room. "He had to drive them both home."
She pulls off her cardigan and throws it onto the couch. "Yeah that's true. Do you want something to drink?"
"Nah, I'm good." he plops himself down on the small couch and stretches. "Did you already talk to your boss about you going to America with me next week?"
"Ah yes! Thanks for reminding me," she walks back to him with a bottle of water in hand. "She said it'll be okay. Just gotta make it up when I return." She sits near him and he drapes his arm around her shoulder. It's gotten almost...comfortable for him to do that without feeling awkward. "I honestly can't wait to go though!"
"It'll be nice to get a change of scenery for a while," he says and watches her as she sips her water. "Also, it'll be nice for you to get a few days off."
"Yeah." She wipes the corner of her mouth with her tongue. Oh. She lays her head on his shoulder and sighs. "It's nice to just relax and not worry about anything."
If he were to bend his head a tiny bit, he'd be able to kiss her. But no...just no.
"What's going to happen between us? After this is all over?" she asks, interrupting his thoughts.
"Um, I don't know. I guess we could still be friends. Why?" he looks down at her, giving her a questioning look. If only his feelings weren't already involved...
"I got to thinking after they asked me. I don't know. I'm just curious I guess." She shrugs. "I'd like for us to stay friends. You're such a nice guy who is driven. I admire you for that. I wish I was that driven."
"You can be, just motivate yourself," he says and his fingers brush against her arm. "You just need to go out there and take the world by the horns. You can do it Ella. I believe in you. One day, you'll get a major acting role and I'll be like 'Hey! She is awesome and is the most amazing person I have known!'"
She laughs and presses her forehead against his jaw. "Yeah but I haven't gotten that feeling. You know? To be..motivated and go out there."
"One day it'll come, trust me." He rubs her arm with his thumb. "You'll find your calling one day."
She doesn't reply. He glances down and sees her falling asleep.
"Ella," he says gently. "You're falling asleep on me."
She groans and puts her hand over her eyes. "Sorrrryyy, I'm just really tired."
"It's okay, I'll leave so you can sleep. I'm tired myself."
She lifts her head off his shoulder. "I'll walk you out."
As they walk towards the door, Niall can't help but think of the idea of Ella sleeping. Sleeping on him. Sleeping with him...
"Don't fall asleep on the way to your bed," he teases. She smacks him gently on the arm and sticks her tongue out .
"Ha! Whatever Horan. I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Yeah."
She embraces him in a quick hug. "See you tomorrow then." And quickly, she kisses the corner of his mouth. He tenses for a second and takes a small step back.
"Okay, see you." He makes a quick exit out of the flat. When he was in his car, he takes a deep breath in.
"No, you can't Niall. This is strictly business. None of that lovey dovey crap," he tells himself and runs his hand through his hair. "Why? Why her? Why now?"
He grips the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles turn white. "Why?!"
Turning on the ignition, he switches on the radio to occupy his mind.
This...this cannot be happening right now...
-------------------------------------
I hope to finish this fanfic before the new year or early next year!! So stay tuned!! Hope you like it so far! Drama will come!!

Please leave a comment! They mean a lot!