03 (SE)

After two long torturous hours of sweeping and scrubbing while cursing my head off at Nate for being a lazy butthole, the house is finally sparkling clean. I glance at my wristwatch to see that it is already early evening. I sluggishly make my way to the living room after I'm done with the kitchen and drop myself into a comfortable couch with a loud groan of relief. Just as I'm able to reach over for the remote, Nate stands in front of me, blocking me. I scowl at my twin brother.

So now he dares show his face after disappearing for the last two hours, leaving me with the entire cleaning job. I should have known better than to ask him to join me; he always ditches.

Nate has a very innocent look on his face, blaring the warning alarms in my head. I’ve known him all my life, which is why I can almost read his mind by looking at his annoying face. He wants something from me.

I notice he is already dressed in black and his weapons secured with him.

What? I ask him snappily in sign language.

He gives me the face that melts my heart; the bloody puppy face of his. Can we hunt please?

I feel my body sagging in protest after the long cleaning. I groan again, thinking of how sore I am to go hunting now.

We'll go tomorrow. I dismiss him with a wave of my hand. Now move! I want to watch The Walking Dead reruns.

Nate refuses to budge, making me irritated at him. Come on, Mel.

No.

I'll do the dishes for a week if you come with me.

No.

And the laundry for two.

I look up at him to see Nate's excited face when he notices my hesitation. He knows he has the upper hand now. It would be nice if the lazy boy decides to do something useful in this house other than hunting down mythical creatures.

My left hand is situated horizontally not far from my chest and my right elbow is on my left clenched knuckles. My right hand is forty-five degrees from my left before it falls, touching my left hand. It is a sign of defeat in ASL.

Nate fists pumps in victory and says slowly, "Take a bath. You stink."

I roll my eyes at him and do as he says. I make sure that I take my time in shampooing my hair, just to make my impatient twin brother wait for me.

Hunting werewolves is our unpaid job although it never felt like a burden to me and Nate. We love our job no matter what. The feeling of the wind hitting my face as I chase after a mythical creature that has been a nuisance to the town. The pride when I know that there is one less murderer wandering on this earth. The sibling love and protectiveness when Nate and I look out for each other while hunting.

My long trail of thoughts is interrupted when I hear loud banging on my bathroom door.

"Melanie Meridian! Hurry up already!" Nate shouts from outside, making me smirk.

Once I'm done bathing and stalling, I put on my hunting attire, which consists of thick black jacket over my comfortable t-shirt and vest, and 6-pocket pants with small blades in it. I retrieve my bow and quiver with arrows. Each arrow is craved with a 'DT' at the end so werewolves know that we are around. I put a few blades in my combat boots just in case.

I walk out of my room, feeling a heavy stare set on my face. I look to see that it's Nate who's glaring daggers at me. I can't help but smile while showing my teeth, which make him narrow his eyes at me.