Last Visit from the Future and News

Nate looks very happy when Cassie, Grace and I reach home. I have no idea what got him in a happy mood, but it’s getting annoying. Even Gwen has a huge smile plastered on her face.

Cassie and Grace were so deep in the conversation in Uncle Sam’s café that they did not realize that I’ve gone to the washroom. I remind myself to call Alpha Green later to let him know that Bree will be on the team. She has the right to know.

“What did you do to him?” I ask Gwen suspiciously.

She doesn’t answer, only smiling when Nate plays his violin. I give up asking her and walk to my room to fall asleep. I’m feeling so tired right now.

“Aunt Mel!” a familiar voice yells out from a distance.

I turn to see my niece, Victoria and my nephew, Nicholas. They hug me unexpectedly, making me chuckle.

“You again!” I exclaim. “You’re going to get in trouble if you don’t stop using the potion.”

“Not when I’m around,” future Cassie says.

“Cass!” I yell, hugging her when the children let go of me.

“Hey, Mel. What’s down?” she asks.

I look down to see the ground. “What do you mean?” I ask in confusion.

The children start to laugh. Cassie shows a face and corrects herself, “I mean, what’s up? In our time, we use what’s down. The most annoying answer is hell.”

I scrunch up my face. “How strange. What’s down?”

“I know! Kids these days,” she grumbles. “They think of weird things.”

I nod in agreement, causing the children to yell out, “Hey!”

Cassie and I laugh.

“So what brought you guys here? I thought you’re stopping them from using the potion?” I ask Cassie. She gives me a sheepish look.

“They were using their puppy eyes on me!” Cassie defends herself, pointing an accusing finger at Nate and Gwen’s children. The kids merely smile in embarrassment.

“I just want to see you for one last time, Aunt Mel,” Twelve-year-old Victoria says.

“Me too!” Eleven-year-old Nicholas pipes in.

“And I’m here to accompany them,” Cassie gloomily says.

“I don’t have a problem with that,” I say truthfully. I really do want company since today everyone has been busy with their own thing.

“Good,” Victoria says. “You’ll get sick of us soon.”

I think about the meadow Cassie and I used to hang out. When I open my eyes, I see that the four of us are in the meadow. I know that the meadow is not real, just an illusion.

“I missed this place,” I hear Cassie says quietly to herself.

I smile at her. “So what happened to Grace?”

“You’ve met her already?” she asks in surprise. “What day is it for you today?”

I frown. “I just came back from GurneyCity a few hours ago…”

Cassie pales as the children starts to whimper. Cassie immediately hug the children, making me confused.

“What?” I ask.

“Four more days,” Cassie tells me. “Four more days before you die.”

I feel my own face turning white. “Four… One day after Nate’s and my birthday…”

“I’ll miss you so much, Aunt Mel. I love you,” Victoria says, hugging me.

Nicholas cries as well. “Oh, Aunt Mel! You’re an awesome aunt.”

I pat the children awkwardly. “Okay children. This will be the last time we’ll meet so listen carefully,” I say sternly.

The children look at me with round brown eyes that remind me of Gwen.

“Take care of your parents and your younger sister, Melanie.”

“I promise,” the siblings say in synchronization.

Cassie hugs me again. Wow, I’m getting a lot of love within the last few minutes.

“Remember, Mel. When you hear Nate cry for help, don’t – ”

“Melanie, wake up!”

I open my eyes groggily to see a very-happy looking twin brother of mine.

“What do you want?” I groan, wanting to go back to sleep. I glance at the alarm clock to see 1.57 a.m.

“I just want to tell you why I’m the happiest man on Earth and why Gwen fainted on the other line when she called,” he says.

Suddenly, I don’t feel tired anymore. “What’s up?” I ask, sitting up on bed.

“Gwen’s pregnant.”

Author's Note

Did you expect THAT? Hahaha! Don't you just want to punch Nate for ruining the visit? My exams are finishing tomorrow~ (YESSSSSS!) Okay, I should shut up. ~Yes, Maggie, shut up~ Ugh! Don't you just hit that little voice in your head? What am I saying again? Oh yeah, what do you think will happen next?

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.