Letters

I stare at the two letters in front of me. One is 85 written on it and the other is blank. Which one should I read first?

It took me three minutes to decide that I’ll read the one that is not addressing to me.

85 and 86, you are invited to Hunter Headquarter in GurneyCity for a gathering to discuss about the latest issue on this coming Wednesday. The map is printed behind this letter. For more information, contact 8211420518 – 817. Do not contact the old number for safety sake. –Director.

I stare at the letter, rereading it a few times. We’re actually invited to HQ building in GurneyCity? This has never happened before. No hunters are ever invited there, unless if you want to be a HQ agent.

The rogue issue is more serious than it is thought to be. After all, they have vampires on their side. Vampires nearly killed Emma. The rogues nearly killed Gwen twice, killed Brad and made Cassie an unusual werewolf. We must stop them soon.

Next, I rip open the letter written 85 on it.

85, I heard that you’re planning to be a HQ agent after your birthday, which happens to be next week. When you enter HQ building, ask any HQ agent to direct you to my office. There’s a lot to discuss. Do not tell this to anyone, including 86 and the werewolf you’re keeping in your house. Burn this letter as soon as you’re done reading this. –Director.

My eyes widen when I realize Director knows that Cassie is with us. Hopefully, he won’t punish me or Nate for exposing our secret. Obediently, I take out a lighter and burn the letter in the toilet.

I make sure that it is nothing but ash before I take out the fire. Tomorrow’s going to be a long day…

‘Melanie!’ someone calls out from a distance.

I turn to look for whoever is searching for me. Once I turn, I’m blinded by sudden light, making me wince. It takes me a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the bright surrounding.

The next thing I know, I’m engulfed into a hug by someone who is a little bit taller than me. The person’s long blond curly hair is all I can see when I freeze in shock.

Who is she?

I feel something wet on my shoulder. The person lets me go so I can see her face.

‘Who are you?’ I ask her, examining her closely. She looks a little bit familiar. The woman has office clothing on, almost making her look like a lawyer if her hair is tied. If I were to guess, she would be in her early thirties.

‘Mel! It’s me! Cassie!’ the woman says, wiping her tears away with both her hands.

I frown at her. ‘Err – ’

The woman stares at my face before flushing. ‘I’m from the future, just like our niece and nephew, Victoria and Nicholas. Those kids are going to be the death of me, I swear,’ she rants. Cassie does not act like her age at all!

I let out a chuckle. ‘So you caught them on the act, huh?’

Cassie grins at me. I can see the younger Cassie in her now. ‘Yeah, got them to admit too. Gwen and Nate are busy all the time especially with Melanie so I’m the only one available to watch over them. Those monkeys can never run out of energy.’

I laugh, imagining Nicholas and Victoria messing up the kitchen with Cassie yelling at them to clean up the mess. ‘Melanie?’ I repeat in confusion, thinking I’m supposed to be dead.

Cassie nods. ‘Nate and Gwen’s 6-year-old daughter. Nate decided to name the youngest after you. She looks just like you. She’s the only one among the three monkeys who cannot shift, which is rare.’

‘That’s sad. I bet she feels left out.’

‘Not really. Her hunting skills are far better than Nicholas and Victoria, making them jealous of her.’

‘Nicholas and Victoria just like you when you were younger, Cass,’ I comment, thinking about it.

Older Cassie gasps in horror. ‘I did not! How was I like them?’ She shudders, thinking about it.

I give her a look of amusement. ‘Did you ground them when you found out that they’re using – what is it again – potions?’

She nods. ‘Potions. A few years after you’ – Cassie pauses to take a deep breath – ‘died, it turns out that witches exist. The only witch in the MeadowFalls pack is Ally Frank, who happens to be mated to a werewolf here. So far do you understand what I’m trying to say?’

I am beyond stunned. ‘Not only vampires exist but witches too? Now it kind of makes sense since I remembered the kids saying something about ‘Miss Frank’. What a messed up world we’re leaving in.’

Cassie shrugs. ‘It was chaotic. Many don’t trust the witch at first. Over the years, the pack grows warm towards her. Nicholas and Victoria are one of her students since she teaches Supernatural History in their school.’

My head is starting to spin. ‘Supernatural History?’ I repeat in question.

Cassie pats my arm lightly. ‘Everything has changed, Mel.’

‘How is Rick then?’ I ask, in curiosity. In my head, I see an older Rick married Cassie and they have six children. I don’t know why but I always think that Cassie would have six children.

Cassie looks down at the floor. ‘He died four years ago.’

Surprised, I stare at her. Rick died? But –

‘He worked as a fireman and died trying to save a baby that was trapped in a burning building. He died along with the baby,’ Cassie says softly, trying so hard to contain the tears that are threatening to fall. ‘We got married a year before his death and I didn’t even have his child!’

My heart breaks for her. I can see how sad she is after all these years.

I gulp before asking the question that has been in my mind for a long time. ‘How did I die, Cass?’ I whisper.

Cassie visibly pales. She looks sadder than before. ‘You didn’t really die. You just disappeared off the face of Earth. Gwen sent out pack warriors to search for you everywhere. Three years after the search, Antoine, who is Alpha already, stopped the search and announced your death. They even did a funeral for you. Nate was in a depressing mood for weeks, even after Nicholas was born. No one was able to get him out of the room until I barged into his room and yelled at him about how you didn’t want him to waste his life this way.’

I nod and hug Cassie. She looks so fragile right now, despite the age gap between us. ‘Thank you for being there for Nate when I wasn’t there.’

She hugs me back. ‘I miss you so much, Mel. It hurt me every time the children asked me about Aunt Mel. Nicholas and Victoria took it too far and stole a potion from their S.H. teacher. Can you believe that? Those little brats.’

‘I’ll try not to die,’ I vow.

Cassie gives me a sad smile. ‘It doesn’t matter if you can’t stop it from happening. I just want to say goodbye for the last time.’

Author's Note

Hello! What do you think of this update? Still think Melanie will die soon? Guess what? I didn't fail at all! Sure, I got one C but the rest are Bs and As. So proud of myself right now. *dance crazily* I still can't believe this book is gonna have 90000 reads soon, so thank you!!!! Especially those who has been reading from the very beginning. I'm so happy now that I'm crying. I'm proud to say that this book is nowhere near the end. Don't forget to:

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.