The Truth, Finally

“You – you –” Gwen stammers, looking from me to Nate a few times. Her naked body is dirty. Nate, being a gentleman he is, looking down so he wouldn’t see his mate nude.

“We are hunters,” I supply for her, kicking the bodies of the rogues lightly.

“You killers!” Gwen screams. I can tell she wants to shift into her wolf form and kill me but is too exhausted to do so. “The Deadly Twins! Nate and Melanie!”

“I’m sorry for not telling you earlier,” Nate says quietly, looking down at his feet.

“It does not matter! I can’t believe I’m destined to be with a killer!”

I sigh, taking off my cloak. “Here, put this on.”

She glares at my cloak. “I’m not wearing whatever belongs to my kind’s arch enemy.”

Gwen is so stubborn. Why can werewolves accept humans as mates but not hunters? Hunters are human too!

That’s when I realize she’s injured. Blood splattered all over her. Three parallel lines across her cheek.

“Stop being stubborn and put on the damn cloak or else I’ll knock you out and drag you to our house to treat your wounds,” I warn.

Nate looks like he is going to cry again. What a big baby he’s becoming after he met Gwen.

Gwen looks at Nate with conflict.

“And for your information, we don’t kill all werewolves. We only kill the rogues. Nate will tell you more if you want,” I add.

Gwen nods, accepting the cloak from me and put it on.

“Now follow me,” I say, running towards the house. Nate follows me but Gwen is far behind. I slow down for her to catch up.

“How – can you – run – so fast?” Gwen huffs. Her face turns bright red.

“We have been training for years but Nate and I are humans. Nothing supernatural,” I explain.

Gwen has a confused look on her face, reminding me of a puppy. “All hunters are humans?”

I nod in reply. It is a surprise to me that werewolves in human form do not have an unusual stamina. All they have is super hearing and sight.

“How old are you?” Gwen asks softly.

I give her a small smile. “We’re not thirty like people think, for your information. We’re seventeen.”

Gwen lets out a small sigh of relief. It would be scary if her mate turns out to be so much older than her.

By the time we reach home, Cassie is outside, waiting for Nate and I.

“Where have you been? It’s three in the morning and I was worried. Do you have any idea –” Cassie trails off when she sets her eyes on Gwen.

“She knows about us, Cass,” I tell her.

Cassie nods. “What about me?”

I shake my head. Cassie sighs in relief.

“I’m sorry, Mel! For being mad at you!” Cassie apologizes, hugging the living daylights out of me.

“Cass – Can’t breathe!” I choke out.

Cassie quickly lets go of me, giving me a sheepish smile. “I just want to say you’re right. I’m still too young to do ‘adult things’ with Rick.”

“Rick is your mate?” Gwen asks in surprise.

Cassie lowly growls at Gwen. I put my hand around Cassie’s shoulder, offering comfort.

“Calm down, Cass. She found out only a few minutes ago,” I explain in a whisper. Gwen looks at me strangely. I have forgotten that werewolves have super hearing.

“Anyway, you should put on some decent clothes. Nate will explain everything,” I tell Gwen.

“Cass, go grab some of my clothes,” I instruct, letting Gwen into the house. Gwen looks around the house with awe. It looks like a regular house, except for the fact that we have the Torture Chamber underground. Luckily for us, only Nate and I know the password. Not even Cassie knows.

Cassie obediently takes off. Nate looks down at the carpet, refusing to see his mate.

“Do you want anything to drink?” he asks Gwen.

Gwen looks at Nate with sadness and answer him, “No, thank you.”

Cassie returns with my jeans and cotton shirt. She hands Gwen the clothes which Gwen nods in thanks. Cassie and I leave Nate and Gwen in the living room, knowing that Nate will explain everything.

“You should sleep,” I tell Cassie, looking into her tired eyes. “It is three in the morning, after all.”

As if on cue, Cassie yawns out loud. “Okay,” she says, walking towards her room. “Good night, Mel.”

“Good night, Cass.”

Just before I enter my room, I remember the letters from the mysterious owl.

Author's Note

Yay! More than 50 parts! So what do you think so far? Many questions to be answered: Will Melanie die? Will Melanie be a HQ agent? What do you think is in the letter? Will there be a happily ever after?

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.