Nate's Old Pet Rock

“Do you think you can eat all of them?” I ask, eyeing the three plates of sandwiches in front of Gwen.

She blushes furiously. “I’m sorry. I’m just very hungry.”

I give her a half-smile. “That’s alright. The little one needs it.”

Gwen and I dig into our food. It is shameful to admit that she finishes eating her food faster than me. I swear, she can compete in a food-eating competition.

“So what did you do just now?” Gwen asks curiously.

I sip my Coke before answering her, “Nate’s birthday gift.”

“Oh! I almost forgotten that you birthday is coming in two days time! You’re going to be eighteen!”

I wince when she said that. My death is coming as well…

“Yes,” I say awkwardly. We are both silent, not knowing what to say to each other until I speak up again.

“What are you going to name the little one?” I ask, nodding towards her belly.

“Nate and I were talking about it yesterday. If it’s a boy, Nate wants to name him Jamie and I want Andrew. If it’s a girl, I want to name her Victoria where as Nate wants Jamie again. Your brother has a terrible taste for names,” Gwen comments.

I laugh out loud. “You’re right! He once named his pet rock Rocky.”

“He had a pet rock?” Gwen asks in disbelief before joining me in laughing.

I nod. “Yeah, he begged my mum when he picked a rock from the park. The next day, he gotten another pet rock to keep Rocky accompanied while we go to kindergarten. He named the other Rockina.”

Gwen laughs even harder. She laughs until she can’t breathe. When she calms down, she says, “I have a feeling that this baby is a girl.”

I smirk inwardly. So the future dreams are starting to be more accurate. “When will you know the gender?”

“The pack doctor says in a few more weeks.”

I glance at my watch to see that we have another one hour before school starts. “We should head back and pick Cass and Nate up to go to school.”

Gwen stands as I do.

“You don’t need to pay for me, Mel,” Gwen protests when I hand a few notes to the cashier.

“No,” I tell her. “It’s my treat.”

“Are you sure?” she asks, looking at the money in the cashier’s hand.

“One hundred percent sure, Gwen. Don’t sweat about it. Stress is not good for the baby.”

Gwen didn’t say anything until we reach the Ferrari. I keep glancing at her worriedly, concern for her sudden quietness.

“What’s wrong, Gwen?” I ask, revving the engine.

She starts to cry, making me panic. What should I do with a crying pregnant lady?

“I hope I won’t lose the baby!” she blurts out and cries even harder.

I sigh. Are pregnant woman this hormonal? “You won’t lose this baby,” I assure her with a soft voice.

“How would you know? You can’t see the future!” she says angrily.

“I can’t see it, but I know it,” I murmur, starting to drive us back home.

Author's Note

I hope you enjoy this update. I'm feeling like the ending is never going to stop. T.T 

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.