Burning Prison

I stare at Cassie while she is helping to pull rotting bodies out of the cells. No matter how much we didn’t want to do this, we have no choice. All the victims have scars and bruises on their bodies. It makes me realize that Cassie doesn’t have any.

“What?” Cassie asks, putting both her hands on her hip.

I walk over to her and help her pull the body to the open.

“It just makes me wonder, why don’t you have any scars or bruises?” I ask softly.

Cassie shrugs in answer. “I don’t know. They injected me with something a few hours before you arrived, causing all the scars to vanish.”

“Do you know what do they inject you?” I question, grunting slightly when the body slows us down.

Cassie shakes her head.

I sigh as we pass by a white room, which used to be a place where all the documents are kept.

“Make sure you get that – ” I point at the body “ – outside.”

She frowns at me. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to check something out. Once all the bodies are out, tell 116 to wait for me. Alright?” I say sternly.

Cassie nods. “Ma’am, yes, ma’am.”

I bark a laugh, reminding me that Nate used to say that before we left for Meadow Falls. As soon as she is out of my sight, I enter the white room. There are papers everywhere but luckily, the files are still arranged neatly.

I hum a tune and my fingers run through the arranged thick files on the desk. Werewolves. Vampires. Werewolf hunters. Vampire hunters.

I grab the files with werewolves, vampires, werewolf hunters and vampire hunters written on it. I stack the werewolf file at the very top and start to turn the pages.

Brad: Pack Warrior.

It is as if my heart stops beating for a moment when I see Brad’s picture. He looks so fragile unlike the last time I saw him in school.

Across the page of Brad’s biography and substances the rogues injected in him is stamped ‘DECEASED’.

I shut the file immediately.

Should I give this file to Alpha Green? Does all this kidnappings have something to do with what the vampire said? Hybrids? It’s impossible! The vampire did mention that he heard it through the grapevine.

A few minutes of thinking later, I have the courage to reopen the file. Only to see Cassie’s picture. She’s given the name ‘W-16’ and she’s found in Little Creek when she was ten. Her parents died protecting her. One of the substance the rogues injected her is called ‘Lost Memories’ so she lost all her childhood memories. This seems to explain why she can’t remember her name. How does she know her age then? I have no clue as well.

“Melanie!” I hear Nate calls out my name. I rush out of the room to see him looking around worriedly. Once he sees me, he looks relieved.

“Where were you, young lady? The werewolf told me that you’ll be around here but I don’t trust her,” Nate explains.

I roll my eyes. I’m not a child, Nate!

“You are, to me. I’m still older than you by twenty minutes, don’t forget that!” Nate says.

I scowl at him, causing his to laugh.

“Anyway, all the bodies are outside, just like you requested. 78’s and Brad’s bodies are in the truck,” Nate informs.

I nod at him and hand him the four thick files so we can check more out later. Put this in the truck.

Nate gives me a confused look but does as I say.

I follow him out of the prison and take out a lighter. We can’t risk leaving this abandoned building still standing for other rogues. Hopefully, other rogues will get the message that we’re coming after them. There are very few rogues in this prison so 116, Nate and I suspect that there are more hiding.

Once the building is on fire, I burn the pile of collected bodies that 116, Nate and Cassie piled up in a hill. I have to say, there are many bodies. Around 25 or so.

116, Nate and I stand in a straight line, watching the prison burn to the ground. Cassie is behind me, whimpering loudly.

I turn around slowly and hug Cassie, surprising 116 and Nate. I rarely show affection so this is rare. My dark glasses accidentally falls off, my eyes are now exposed to Cassie. She smiles at me, staring into my brown eyes.

Cassie hugs me tighter until her whimpers lower down.

I put my dark glasses back on before 116 can see my eye colour and grab Cassie, leading her to the truck.

“Let’s go home,” I tell them.

Author's Note

Yes, finally, holiday! Thanks to Chinese New Year! I want to thank to those who vote this story. Your support means a lot to me. Don't worry, there's more to come! The Hunter in Meadow Falls won''t come to an end any time soon. Anyway, don't forget to:

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.