HQ Building

“Pull over,” Nate instructs, switching back on his hearing aids. I give him a confused look as I stop the car by the side. Nate jumps out of the car and runs into a Seven-Eleven. I bob my head up and down to Harlem by New Politics. They are bloody awesome.

I am startled when Nate knocks on my window. I give him a glare for scaring me. He silently takes a seat next to me and puts something into the back seat.

“What did you buy?” I ask curiously, glancing back at the plastic bag.

“Emergency things, you know,” Nate says.

I narrow my eyes at him. “What do you mean by emergency things? We already have all our weapons with us.”

Nate rolls his eyes. “I bought two large bottle of Coke for you, okay! I don’t want to handle a Coke-mental Melanie during a gathering full of hunters.”

I give him a sweet smile. “Oh, Nate! You’re so caring!”

“Yeah, yeah,” he grunts. “Just drive already. Now that we’re in GurneyCity, we have to watch out for a building with the words ‘Warner Brothers Corporation’.”

I start driving again. “Why do you think it’s called the Warner Brothers Corporation?” I ask Nate.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask the Warners?” Nate says sarcastically.

I grumble under my breath about how moody Nate is ever since we left MeadowFalls. It is a three hour journey to GurneyCity.

“Nate?” I ask. “Now that you have your hearing back…” I pause, wondering how will he react.

“Yes?” Nate asks patiently, encouraging me silently to continue.

I grip the steering wheel tightly as I say, “May I get a motorbike?”

Nate looks at me in bewilderment. “A motorbike?”

Remember Uncle Scott? Also known as Infamous Dead Uncle Scott? The uncle that I despise but Nate loves? He criticized my behavior and stuffs like that when he was still alive. He happened to be my mum’s cousin. When my mum became an HQ agent, she was not allowed to see any of her family members but she was allowed to be at their funeral. Only she must not be seen.

Uncle Scott died in a motorbike crash years ago. My mum brought Nate and I to his grave once the funeral was over. When my mum left Nate and I alone, I danced on his grave in happiness after all those years of criticizing. Call me evil, but I don’t care. He never compliments me for the smallest things I did.

I lean back into my seat as I stop the car in front of a red light. “I’ve always wanted a motorbike but ever since you got deaf, I decided to buy a car instead,” I admit quietly.

Nate’s face softens immediately. “Maybe we can get you one on our birthday.” Suddenly, Nate’s eyes widen in realization. “Our birthday is next week.”

I nod. “I feel old all of a sudden,” I comment.

“Tell me about it,” Nate agrees.

The traffic light turns green so I step on the gas. Nate fiddles on the GPS to look for the building while I look around. GurneyCity is a huge city. After all, it is the capital city of the country.

“Found it!” Nate says excitedly, pointing at the building with the words ‘Warner Brothers Corporation’.

I feel my palms getting sweaty as I take a turn towards the parking of the building. Someone in the counter narrows his eyes at me when I roll down the window.

“Code?” he asks in a deep voice. I know that he is a HQ agent.

“Werewolves and vampires exist,” I reply.

The agent glances at Nate and then me. “Numbers?”

“85 and 86.”                                                    

“Original location?”

“Meadow Falls.”

The agent taps furiously on his keyboard. “Enter,” the agent says.

I continue driving into the underground parking lot where I see all kinds of cars. Many of them look expensive, but a few ordinary pick-up trucks. All these vehicles belong to werewolf hunters.

“Parking spot!” Nate yells, pointing at an empty parking space.

I wince. “No need to yell into my ears, dimwit.”

“I still can’t believe we’re in a HQ building!” Nate exclaims in excitement.

“I know.”

“This is the first time it has ever happened!”

“I know.”

“I feel weird now.”

I give him a strange look and turn off the engine.

Here goes nothing.

Author's Note

Helloooo! I have my Coke with me right now, so I'm stable. :P My friend, lamepuns posted a story so if you have the time (or curiousity), check it out! 

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.