Don't Give Up on Him

“What?” Gwen asks in disbelief. Her mouth hangs open. If she does not close her mouth soon, a fly might actually enter.

I look into her eyes so she can see that I’m telling the truth. 

“I’m sorry for judging you so quickly. I can see that you love my brother very much.” She blushes when I say that. “Just give my brother some time. He will eventually come to his senses.”

Gwen looks like she is on the verge of crying.

“He does not like me! How can he even like me when he loves Anna?” she cries, bawling her eyes out. 

I mentally face palm. Of course she would remember the girl who goes out with her mate. Think, Mel, think.

“They are best friends but believe me, you’ll meet Anna soon. I am a thousand percent sure that Nate sees her as a friend,” I say. 

She sniffs just like a wolf. Wait, she is a werewolf. I nearly forgot that her kind is always my enemy. I dismiss the hunter thoughts. She is not a rogue, I remind myself, so there is no need to murder my twin’s mate.

“How do you know if he doesn’t like her?” she asks, her voice breaking.

I stare at the ceiling, thinking of how to answer. “Nate has never date,” I confess still staring at the ceiling. 

I can feel her eyes on me. My eyes finally look down to see her surprised reaction. 

“He never dates? Why?”

I shrug. “He and I made a deal years ago that we will never date. This is why I know he is not a player. Don’t tell him that I told you! He’ll murder me and dance on my grave!” I exclaim. 

Gwen giggles. I realize that this is the first time we get along. It’s not so bad. I can see hope in her eyes. 

“Is it okay if I ask you a question?” she asks after recovering from her laughs.

I nod.

“What were you doing at Dave’s bistro with the two men the other day?”

My eyes harden instantly. Can’t she just ask the right questions? Or maybe something involving her mate? Why did she even bother to know about me?

I sigh deeply. “I can’t tell you.”

She is upset with my answer but she didn’t push it. We begin talking about random things and the random things are all related to Nate. 

Gwen tells me about her family. Her mother is a housewife; I know better than that of course! Her father passed away a few years ago to cancer; in truth, he died because of rogues. I read out Gwen’s family history from the book so I know the truth behind her every lie. She also has a younger sister. 

A little girl enters the room suddenly. She looks like a ten-year-old version of Gwen: brown eyes, tan skin and tall for her age. 

“Hello,” I greet her.

“Hi,” the little girl says shyly. 

I put out my hands to shake hands with her. Somehow, I feel comfortable around her just as Gwen! No urge to slaughter her at all. 

“My name is Melanie. What’s yours, dear?”

She conceals herself behind Gwen. “Alice,” she answers in a soft voice. 

Unexpectedly, she hovers away from her hiding spot behind Gwen and hug me. Can you believe it, hug me? This is the first time I got a hug from a werewolf! I look at Gwen with a baffled look. Gwen laughs at me. 

“Alice does that to anyone who is nice to her. Even if it’s a stranger,” Gwen explains. 

I look at my watch to see that it is time to go home. Nate would go ape on me if he ever finds out that I have talked to Gwen about him. 

“It’s time for me to leave. I’ll see you in school tomorrow, Gwen,” I say as soon as Alice lets go of me. 

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay for dinner?” Alice asks, looking up at me with her round brown eyes. 

I ruffle her hair. “Not today, dear. I need to feed my brother from hell.”

Gwen cracks a smile at my words. Alice and Gwen guide me downstairs as Alice tells me animatedly about her friends in school. I listen and very rarely comment to her. I walk across the living room to see three of my arrows on the coffee table. How dumb of them to leave such dangerous weapons in the living room! 

I smirk inwardly. The devil in me laughs evilly. Time to scare Gwen!

I pick up one of the arrows. 

“Nice arrow,” I comment, tracing my finger around the ‘DT’ carved in the end of the arrow. 

Gwen looks terrified at the sight of the arrow in my hands. She quickly lies, “Thanks. It’s my uncle’s arrows. He loves to hunt.” 

“What does he hunt?” I ask, fake curiosity in my voice. 

Gwen looks at Alice for help. Alice, being the smart one, walks away from the situation, leaving Gwen to answer my question. I pretend to pay interest in the arrow. 

“He … hunts … wolves?” Her answer sounds more like a question.

 I put the arrow back on the coffee table and walk to the front door. I can hear Gwen letting out a small sigh of relief. My evil side is currently laughing at her fearful face. 

Before I enter my Ferrari, I tell Gwen, “Nate and I have a secret. I can’t tell you what it is but I’m sure he’ll tell you in the future. Just don’t give up on him. Promise me, Gwen.”

She has a puzzled expression but determination takes place quickly. I did risk telling her a clue about why we are acting so strangely sometimes. 

“I won’t give up on him, Melanie,” she replies confidently.

Nate is so lucky to have Gwen as his mate.

Author's Note

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.