Silent Treatment

Nate has been ignoring Gwen ever since he found out that Gwen is his mate. I can see that Gwen is sad with his actions.

Whenever she looks at me, tears will start to form in her eyes.

My idiotic brother, on the other hand, continues to ignore her. Sometimes I see a hint of sadness in his eyes before it is replaced with a cold look.

One day, Nate has finally reach Gwen’s limits.

“Hey, man,” Rick says when Nate and I approach our table during lunch.

“Hey,” Nate replies as he bumps his fists with Rick.

“Which chick would you date if you have a chance?” Rick asks out of curiosity. Gwen, Emma, Celine, Wally and I are eating quietly, just listening to their loud conversation.

Nate shrugs. “Lindsey Stirling. She’s an awesome violinist.”

Gwen finally takes it anymore and runs out of the cafeteria, leaving her leftover lunch. She slams the door close which makes the whole cafeteria silent at the sudden sound.

I glare at Nate. What an idiot.

What is wrong with you? I sign furiously. It is surprising that none of the pack members try to punch Nate for breaking her heart repeatedly. Thank heavens that Nate is not a player too. Or else Gwen would feel much worse.

I glare at him for a few more seconds before following Gwen out of the cafeteria.

Ever since Director’s visit, I constantly keep a look out for the Alpha and Beta family as they are the strength of the pack. Nate is assigned to protect patrollers and pack warriors, which is an easier task because of his disability. He did argue at me at first but I managed to make him see some sense.

I know that Gwen will be in wolf form so Hazard leads me to her. She is by the river, staring at her own reflection. I am on a branch, just like the other day. Ninja mode time!

My right hand is always by my waist, where I keep my personal collection of silver knives. Each and every weapon of mine as a ‘DT’ on it. I hate hunting in the clothes I’m wearing now but I have no other options. I am wearing faded blue jeans, a cotton white shirt with Twitter logo on it and red Converse shoes.

Gwen rises to her feet and begins to run into the woods. I sigh as I follow her by hopping from one branch to another.

I hear footsteps coming from north.

I quickly grab one of my knives and wait for my prey.

For a rogue, it is awfully clumsily loud.

Gwen finally realizes that she has company and growl at a moving bush.

A small brown wolf jumps out of the bush. Judging by its size, it is still a child.

Gwen growls in irritation. The small wolf just whimpers and cuddles next to Gwen.

Then it clicks, the small wolf is Alice, Gwen’s little sister. I can tell by her brown eyes which are just like Gwen’s.

What is she doing here?

I jump to another branch to have a better view on them.

Unfortunately, the branch made a loud crack sound but didn’t fall.

Gwen whirls around to face in my direction. I jump above where there are more leaves to cover me.

She growls and stands protectively in front of Alice.

That was so close.

When Gwen loses interest at the unmoving branch, they walk towards the pack house. As soon as they enter their territory, I know that they are safe so I decide to skip the rest of school. One, I don’t have the mood to study. Two, I don’t want to see my twin brother’s face.

To make myself busy, I clean the house.

Nate is finally home at 3 o’clock. He rode my Ferrari back home.

I ignore his presence by continue vacuuming the living room.

“Melanie,” Nate says.

I didn’t react. He knows that I’m pissed at him. How? I’m giving him the silent treatment. It all started way back when we were four when Nate stole my coloring book. I didn’t talk to him for about an hour before he gave up and return my book. He can’t stand acting as if he is not there at all.

The first time I discover Nate’s weakness, our parents would laugh.

Nate was mummy’s boy but I was daddy’s girl.

Dad used to be protective over me when he was Director before our unbiological uncle became Director.

They are rarely at home except for the weekends. During weekends, we would watch a movie or play board games. They never told us about their jobs. Dad did promise us that he would tell us one day.

But it was too late.

Their last mission took away their lives. Director told me that it was a huge pack of rogues that nearly attack the capital city, GurneyCity, which took away their lives. My dad died in the claws of the pack’s Alpha but my mum killed the Alpha when the Beta killed her.

All werewolf hunters gather to fight off the rogues. Our parents were two out of twelve hunters who passed away in the battle.

No one knows about the Gurney battle except for every werewolf hunters.

Every 31st March, we would stay silent for a minute to pay contribute to those who lost their lives in the battle.

“Mel, please talk to me,” Nate’s pleading voice pulls me back to the present. I still ignore him.

He groans.

“Is it because of Gwen?” he asks.

My lips are sealed.

From the corner of my eyes, I see him put his arms in the air, indicating surrender. “Fine! I’ll talk to her! Happy now?”

I smile and switch off the vacuum. I pinch his cheeks after signing, Good boy.

He slaps my hand away as he scowls.

I waltz my way to the kitchen to make some coffee.

Nate mumbles to himself, “What have I just gotten myself into?”

Author's Note 

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

M.