End

I open my eyes when I’m able to breathe again. I can move my hand, only slowly or I would feel pain in my upper arm. My neck has bruises on them, which makes me wince when I touch them slightly.

The very same white owl and Hazard is attacking the hybrids. One of the hybrids is already dead next to me.

The animals scratch the hybrids’ eyes, which blinds them.

The sun is coming up. I know that the battle has started more or less two hours ago. Who knew how two hours can change someone’s life? After all, some lives can be changes in minutes or even seconds.

The next thing I know, two more wild animals, a bear and a panther appears out of nowhere and pounce on each hybrid.

My eyesight blurs when I realize that the hybrids fall to the ground, dead. The shadow of the bear and the panther disappears, only leaving the white owl and Hazard.

I feel my head spinning in confusion. Are those wild animals trained? Are they a part of HQ? Are they just animals that are somehow controlled by God?

What the hell just happened?

The owl and Hazard lands near my face. The white owl hoots while looking at me with its dark eyes. Hazard nuzzles my face as if trying to tell me not to give up.

I close my eyes, my energy is too low. I can’t move. My body feels numb.

Is this how death feels like? Is it my time to go? Or am I going to turn into a hybrid?

“It’s not your time to die yet, 85.”

A familiar female voice is the only thing I hear before I fall into a very deep slumber, far away from the world that I once knew.

End of Book One.

Author's Note

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.