Compromise

My eyes are on Alpha Green the entire time since I reach the pack territory. He is yelling at Beta Goldsmith to send a team out for ‘The Deadly Twins’. I find it funny to see his red face and Beta Goldsmith’s scared expression.

Gwen has already left with Nate a few minutes ago so no one is home except for Alpha Green, Beta Goldsmith and the third-in-command.

“I want them to be captured! We must find Brad before it’s too late!” his mighty Alpha tone booms, causing Beta and third-in-command to whimper at the force of the tone.

“We’ll get ready a team of pack warriors to Great York immediately,” Beta informs in a shaky voice. She looks so scared at him.

“Yes! Do that! We must catch these hunters immediately.” He pinches the bridge of his nose in a stressful manner.

Before Beta and third-in-command can leave, he adds, “Don’t let any of Brad’s family member join the team.”

“We won’t, Alpha,” third-in-command assures him. The two runs out of the house to prepare a team.

Now that the Alpha is alone in the house, it’ll be the perfect time to give him a heart attack. I take out a silver knife in my right hand and a syringe in my left hand. The syringe is filled with red substance called ‘Link Prevention’. It is used on werewolves so their mind link will be cut off from the pack without the pack realizing of it. It is easy to make it and all werewolf hunters know the ingredients. I slip into the office silently when Alpha is in the bathroom, sounding like he’s washing his face. I lock the office door so he wouldn’t escape.

“Hello?” Alpha calls out. I freeze in my tracks. He must have heard the clicking sound of the lock. Damn you, lock!

I hide behind the door when Alpha opens the bathroom door. His neck is exposed so I used this opportunity to stab the Link Prevention at his neck.

He hisses in pain. His reaction is fast. His elbow nearly hit my face since I take a step back. He turns around to see me. His eyes widen in surprise and fear. I’m very sure that he recognizes me as one of the Deadly Twins. The fear dissolves to be replaced with anger and determination.

He tries to grab my shoulder but I’m fast enough to duck. He looks confused for a second. I know that the Link Prevention is working since he looks like he is yelling in his head. I used his short distraction to put him in a head-lock.

He stiffens.

“I’m going to let you go but you have to not attempt any escape and hear me out. Do you understand me?” I ask in a low, hunter-mode tone.

“You’re going to kidnapped me too, butcher?” he asks through his gritted teeth.

“Now why would you think of that, mutt?” I reply with a small smirk.

He is silent for a moment. My hold around his neck has not loosened nor tightened, waiting for his answer.

He lets out a loud sigh. “Alright.”                                                                

I let go off him immediately. He stands up and rubs his sore neck. His eyes wander my weapons, especially my signature bow and arrow. Even through my dark glasses, he’s trying to see the color of my eyes.

“What did you inject me just now?” he asks, wincing when his hand makes contact with where I stabbed him.

I shrug. “It is top secret information. It’ll wear off in about half an hour.”

He frowns, unsatisfied with my answer. “If you’re not here to kill or kidnap me, then why are you here?”

I look up to make eye contact with him through my dark glasses. “I heard that one of your pack warriors is missing,” I tell him.

“How did you know that?” he growls. “No one is supposed to talk of this outside the pack territory.”

I shrug again. “I have my ways of finding out everything about your pack, Alpha Green.”

He looks shocked at how I know his name. “How will I know if you’re not lying to me about you not kidnapping one of our pack warriors?” he asks warily.

I grin at him. “Alpha, there is one thing you lack: Trust. It’s time for you to trust me if you want to get Brad back, that is if he’s still alive.”

He flashes me a dark look, not appreciating his flaw. “I’ll do anything to get him back safely,” he growls at me.

“That’s exactly what I’m trying to tell you,” I say.

He takes his seat in his office and starts to massage his forehead. I walk so I am directly in front of him and his messy desk.

“If it’s not you who kidnap Brad, then who did?” he asks tiredly.

“Rogues,” I answer him. “I can’t let you know more about this.”

“Why the hell not?” Alpha Green roars out. If I’m a werewolf, I would cower and curl myself into a ball. I’m not affected by his Alpha tone.

“It’s classified information. What I can tell you is that your pack is not the only one that is facing this problem. Werewolf hunters hunt rogues, not just any werewolf we come across. We’re not that heartless,” I answer truthfully.

Now he looks confused and speechless. To be honest, he looks like a lost puppy. My answer certainly surprises him. I sigh.

“These rogues are no ordinary rogues. This is a job of the rogues that nearly kidnapped your soon-to-be-Beta a few weeks ago,” I inform him.

He starts to shake in rage. “They are the same rogues that nearly kidnapped Gwen?! How did I not see this coming?”

Maybe it’s because you’re stupid, my mind suggests but I dare not to speak out loud. It might blow my cover as a thirty-year-old werewolf hunter.

“Exactly. We have to cooperate if you want my partner and me to find your pack warrior. My partner and I have more experience and information about these rogues. I am willing to offer a compromise if it makes you feel better,” I state.

“State your terms,” he orders.

I don’t like it if people order me around, but in this case, I decide to ignore it.

“Tighten the security around the perimeter. Don’t tell anyone of our presence or the deal is off. Call off your team that is trying to find us; they won’t find anything there anyway. Don’t send anyone; and I mean anyone, after us unless if you want to endanger their lives,” I say in my hunter voice. I sound so mature right now.

He nods. “Is there any way for us to communicate?”

I take out a small piece of paper with my phone number on it and give it to Alpha Green.

“Let me warn you that you have one minute to talk before I hang up just in case if you’re trying to track me down,” I warn.

I walk towards the window so I can jump down. Before I can do so, Alpha asks, “Why are you helping us?”

Without turning, I reply, “That is for me to know, and for you to find out.”

Author's Note

Don't ever forget:

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.