Journey to Great York

“Melanie?” Nate asks from my side as I drive. We still have another one hour before we reach Great York. Anna and Hazard are in the back seat, strangely very quiet. I look at the mirror a few times to make sure that Anna didn’t eat Hazard.

I tilt my head slightly towards him so he can read my lips as I ask, “What?”

“I receive a text from Gwen, asking me where I am. What should I answer?” he asks. He looks like a love-sick puppy. I’m sure he feels guilty for lying to her but it’s not the right time to tell her. Besides, she didn’t tell Nate that she is a werewolf yet either so it’s fair.

“Tell her that we’re visiting our grandma,” I suggest.

Nate shrugs and texts back. Three minutes later, Nate receives a text again.

“Gwen is inviting us to a party this coming Saturday. She says that the mayor’s son is returning from boarding school so the mayor is throwing a party. Can we go?” he asks, giving me a puppy face. It is clear that the mayor is actually the Alpha and Alpha’s son is coming back from Alpha Academy. There’s no way in hell I’m going.

I laugh at his face. He looks so desperate to go.

I nod. “Yeah, sure. I’m not going though.”

To be truthful, I hate parties. I feel that parties are a waste of time. What is the use of parties anyway? Furthermore, it is hosted by werewolves!

“Come on, Mel! You need some fun,” Nate complains.

Beg all he wants but I’m certainly not going. “No,” I say firmly, keeping my eyes on the road.

Nate pouts at me. “You’re no fun,” he comments, texting back to Gwen.

I ignore his comment and pay my full attention to driving. Not long later, we see a sign reading, ‘Welcome to Great York’

When we reach a small town, I call 116 and he tells me an address where he is living. I use the GPS which leads us to a house in the woods.

A handsome 20-something-year-old is standing in front of the house. He has messy brown hair and green eyes. I can tell that his brown hair is not natural.

I park the car before Nate hands me my dark glasses. I look up to see that he is already wearing one.

“Let’s kick some rogues’ butt,” Nate says and gets out of the car.

I can’t help the grin that is spreading on my face. 116 stare at us when we both walk until we are directly in front of him. I know that Nate and I both have our poker face on, not letting any emotions showing on our faces.

116 look nervous at the sight of us and start to blush. It’s so weird to see someone older than us blushing. I clear my throat, 116 looks at me instantly.

“I am 85 and this is my brother 86,” I say, pointing at a serious-looking Nate.

116 nods at Nate which Nate nods back in reply.

“These rogues you spoke of earlier…” I trail off, letting him continue.

116 looks confused for a second before blushing harder. It seems as if he needs his partner to be there for him to be more confident. I know it is hard to lose someone who you trust so much. “They are locked up in the basement. Two of them. One is older than the other. I have a feeling that the younger one will be easier,” 116 tell me.

“Alright. 86 and I will get ourselves ready. In the meantime, get the older rogue in one of the room. Make sure the room has no window and has a high-quality silver door,” I instruct. 116 nods in understanding and runs inside. He makes a good follower.

As soon as 116 is out of hearing range, Nate turns to face me. “I’ll get Anna and Hazard out,” he says. He makes a face when he glances at Hazard who is glaring at Nate as if challenging him to try to touch him. 

I shrug at Nate and Hazard, opening the car boot to reveal all kinds of weapons. I light up like a kid in a candy store. I take out my new favorite weapon, the crossbow and sling it over my shoulder. Nate gave me a crossbow for this year’s Christmas whereas I gave him a rifle. We are very violent people, I know. I also have a collection of silver knives on my belt.

Hazard immediately sits on my shoulder, waiting for my command. Anna is by Nate’s side.

Nate grins at me when I throw his rifle at him which he catches easily.

Time to torture some rogues. 

Author's Note

New update! Yay! I feel like it's a huge achievement! Still a long way to go.... After all, you guys want to know whether Mel has a mate or not.... Mwahahaha, I'm not going to tell. You're just going to have to read and see. ;)

Comment.

Vote. 

Fan.

-M.