Explanation

“Why?” he asks as I drag him into the house. How am I going to explain all this? Will he be mad at me for using Gwen to distract him? Will he breakup with Gwen because of this small matter?

“Melanie?” he asks, forcing me to stop in my tracks. We are already in front of the Torture Chamber.

I’m sorry, Nate! I didn’t tell you everything and I feel horrible! I sign frantically. Nate captures my shaking hands to stop me from signing. His eyes are locked on mine, forcing me to stare back.

“Tell me what’s going on,” Nate orders, letting go of my hands.

I take a shaky breath before signing, I made a deal with Alpha Green that we will look for Brad and they must not come after us. This morning, I received a phone call from 116 that 78 is captured by the same rogues that kidnapped Brad and the ones who has been messing with HQ’s system. Now we have to get to Great York to help 116 get 78 back. There is a chance that we can also save Brad. I’m very sorry for not telling you earlier! I didn’t want to stress you out after I asked Gwen to ask you out.

With that, I look down at my feet with shame.

“You forced Gwen to ask me out?” Nate asks through his gritted teeth.

I look up only to see his eyes filled with anger and betrayal.

No! I asked her. I need a way to distract you from watching my every move. I mean, you have Gwen, Nate. You can’t just reject her! I have to do something about it. I don’t want my brother to live in regret.

“But this is my life! My decision!” he roars back. “I thought that everything will be okay again but no! I’m afraid I’ll lose you, Mel!”

“You won’t lose me,” I say sternly.

“You think that just because I have a mate means I’ll care for her more than you? No! You’re my sister. My twin sister.”

I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. You have to take care of Gwen. She’s the one who is nearly kidnapped by those rogues the other day. I sign as I snap back.

That makes Nate snap his head at me so fast that his head might come out. He looks at me with shock. I remember that he doesn’t know anything about Gwen’s near kidnapping. I’m so stupid right now.

“What?! Gwen is nearly kidnapped and you didn’t tell me?! I’m her mate! I deserve to know!” he yells, kicking the wall.

I shut my mouth from telling him more or else he’ll brainlessly drive to Great York all by himself and stupidly try to kill those rogues.

Nate huffs and puffs in anger before calming himself down.

“Tell me what happened,” Nate demands, holding my shoulder. I wince as his hold tightens. I’ve never seen Nate like this before. He looks merciless.

“Melanie,” he growls, shaking me.

If he keeps doing this, I’m going to lose my patience and yell back at him. Fortunately for him, I’m still sane enough not to kick him where the sun doesn’t shine and knock him out.

“Nate,” I say slowly so he can read my lips. “Let. Me. Go.”

He seems to realize what’s going on and let me go. I massage my sore shoulders while watching Nate scramble back until his back hit the wall. His eyes are filled with regret and pain.

“I’m sorry, Melanie,” he sobs. “I don’t know what came to me. I… I…” Nate looks so fragile now. I know that it wasn’t his fault. He wants to protect his mate. “Just tell me what happened. Please,” he whispers in plead.

I sign to him about everything from the near kidnapping to this morning’s call. Nate patiently watches my hands move in signals until the end.

It is silent for a moment before Nate says, “Thank you.”

I look at him in shock. For what? I sign.

“For saving Gwen,” he replies. “We should pack and leave today.”

I nod in agreement and enter the Torture Chamber to pack our weapons and hunting attire. I pack our guns, crossbows, bows and arrows and knives in a bag. When I’m finished packing the weapons, I pack very few clothes since it’ll only be a few days. I make sure that none of the clothes are heavy and revealing.

Before I can whistle for Hazard, my phone blasts an Eminem song. Without glancing at the screen, I answer, “Hello?”

“85,” 116 says.

“116. We are leaving for Great York now in stead of tomorrow,” I assure him.

I hear a howl in a background. It makes chills run down my spine at the sound. “I’ve captured two rogues for questioning from the abandoned house,” 116 inform. From his tone, I can tell that he is proud at that fact.

“First, shut them up. They’re going to attract more werewolves that are nearby with all their howling. Second, don’t question them. I repeat, don’t question them. Let me do the questioning.”

“But…” 116 starts to protests when I cut him off by saying, “I know that you’re angry and frustrated. These emotions are going to make you do something you’ll regret so just do as I say and we’ll get 78 back. Understand?”

116 weakly replies, “Yes.”

I nod in approval. “Now, I want you to also polish every weapon you have. We’re going to attack the pack of rogues as soon as we get information from the rogues you captured. Understand?”

I can tell that he is excited when he says, “Yes!”

I hang up without saying goodbye. I grin as I whistle for Hazard. He flies to me and obediently enters the cage.

The rogues in Great York have no idea what’s coming after them.

Author's Note

Bonjour! What do you think about this update? Love it? Hate it? It's a little too late to wish Merry Christmas but too early to wish Happy New Year... so.... I think you get the point right now. Don't forget!

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.