A Phone Call to Cassie

“What’s going on, Melanie? What happened?” Nate asks, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stare at my phone.

“I don’t know! She sounds panicky and then there was a thump,” I say, unable to look at Nate. “Could it be the hybrids?”

12 whispers, “Impossible! They’re animalistic. They only know how to drink blood and kill.”

Nate growls. “Call Cassie to check up on Gwen. I swear to God if it was a rogue or a hybrid, they’re going to wish they’re in hell.”

12 looks silently at the both of us while Nate speeds up. I can sense large waves of anger coming from him.

No one shall dare mess with one of The Deadly Twin’s mate!

It takes three second before Cassie picks up her phone. “Hello?”

“Cass, I need you to check on Gwen,” I instruct in a firm voice.

She gasps a little. “What happened, Mel?”

“She called Nate’s phone and I picked it up. She was stammering and sobbing before the line got silent. Is she in the house with you?” I ask, thinking of a plan to get to MeadowFalls faster. We are now in Little Creek, another one and half hours to go.

“No,” she says. “She’s in the pack house. She left as soon as Nate and you left.”

I freeze at the thought. “Cass, don’t go.”

Nate looks furious at my decision.

“Why?” Cassie asks in confusion.

“The pack might kill you,” I whisper. They still think Cassie is a rogue and I’m not taking any risks. If the pack does anything to her or Rick, they’re going to have to face me.

“We don’t have much time, Mel! I have to go. You don’t know anyone in the pack that can check on Gwen instead, right?” Cassie points out.

I stay quiet, knowing she’s right.

“I’m leaving for the pack house now, Mel. I’ll call you in fifteen minutes time,” she says.

“Wait! Cassie! Don’t – ”               

It is too late. Cassie hangs up, leaving me in worry.

“Shit,” I curse. “We need to get to MeadowFalls. Quick.”

“I know,” Nate says through his gritted teeth.

A memory hit me, making me smile.

“Switch place with me, Nate,” I request, unbuckling my seat belt.

Nate gives me a look of disbelief. “I need to get to Gwen soon,” he growls at me.

I roll my eyes. “Shut up and let me drive, Nate. I know a faster way to get to MeadowFalls.”

“How?” Nate commands, his grip on the steering wheel tightens.

“Let me drive,” I repeat.

Nate looks at me before sighing. “Fine,” he agrees unhappily.

He halts the car quickly and switches place with me. Once I’m buckled up, I look at Nate.

“There’s on thing you don’t know about this car,” I tell him, opening a hidden button which has the word ‘boost’ on it. 

I swear Nate's eyes nearly pops out. "There is a freaking boost button in the Ferrari?" he asks.

"Really?" 12 says in excitement, leaning forward to see the button. "Awesome!"

I grin at them. "Let's just say, this is a limited edition."

Without warning them, I step on the gas and press the boost button. 

Let me tell you, Nate's girly scream is never to be forgotten. 

Author's Note

I know it's short, people. Forgive me but I have freaking exams again. *Sighs out loud* I really need Coke... Who hates exam, scream 'Meep!' 

I shall be the first. MEEP!

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.