Dinner

I stare at my reflection. I look so much older than my real age, thanks to my makeup. My long black dress hugs fittingly to my figure. I turn to see Nate wearing an all-black suit. Now we’re matching.

“Should we wear our shades?” I ask Nate.

He sighs in frustration when he can’t tie his bow right. “We should. We don’t want them knowing who we are. Our eyes can expose everything, including our real age.”

I nod and walk up to him to tie Nate’s bow instead.

“So how are you doing? You know, with Gwen not around?” I ask, concern.

Nate shakes his head. “I feel like I’m going to lose my mind.”

“Here,” I say, throwing the phone HQ provides. They even confiscate our handphones. Maybe they don’t want us to expose the location of HQ building. “You should call Gwen. I can’t stand a moody Nate.”

Nate happily takes the phone and starts to dial on Gwen’s number.

I stare back at my reflection and put on my shades, seeing if I miss any details that other hunters can take advantage of. None; I look dangerous enough.

Someone knock on the door. I hurry to open it, seeing that Nate is still busy talking to Gwen.

“85?” the male HQ agent with cropped black hair asks.

“Yes, my brother 86 is still freshening up,” I lie.

The HQ agent narrows his dark eyes at me. He is about to open his mouth when Nate appears next to me.

“We’re all set to go,” Nate says in his hunter voice, glaring at the HQ agent through his shades.

The HQ agent nods and leads us away from our rooms. We use the fancy elevator again to the ballroom, where I see many werewolf hunters. I can tell by the muscles bulging out and their ages. After all, Nate and I are the youngest werewolf hunters ever.

The HQ agent leaves us to stand at the corner of the room as soon as we enter the ballroom. I notice that all the HQ agents are situated around the ballroom, as if guarding the place in case someone decides to throw the first punch. All the HQ agents have dark eyes (no matter what color their hairs are) and a poker face plastered.

All the hunters snap their heads towards Nate and I.

I can tell they recognize us as the Deadly Twins.

Nate and I give them a blank face as we walk towards two empty chairs in an empty table. Not long after, someone joins us.

“Anyone sitting here?” the hunter asks in a deep mysterious voice, nodding towards the empty chairs around us since he’s holding two glasses of champagnes.

“No,” I reply in my hunter voice.          

He takes a seat and a sip from a glass. “Where are my manners? I’m 45, also known as Red.”

I shake hands with one of the legendary hunters in history. Nate is staring at Red, watching his every move. I study his looks.

Red looks like he is in his fifties and his white hair is cut recently in military style. He is wearing a very uncomfortable-looking tuxedo. I notice his hands are huge which can easily grab someone’s skull and crush it. His face looks relax yet guarded. His voice is rough and strong enough to make any other werewolves cower in fear.

“I’m 85 and he’s 86. We’re – ”

“The Deadly Twins, I know. I wrote about you two,” Red states.

I shrug as if I don’t care. “We know, we read the book.”

“So do I get most of the information about you right? It took a lot of research since I am not able to find you two. You two were always disappearing.”

I give him a small smirk. “You got a few right, but most are lies and rumors.”

Red looks surprised as he rubs his chin. “Is it now? You two do look as intimidating as all werewolves claim to be. Not to mention gorgeous.”

“I suppose we just love to keep to ourselves,” I say, giving him a bored look and ignore the compliment.

Red laughs out loud as if it’s the funniest thing he has ever heard. “Silent but deadly. No wonder more rogue werewolves are afraid of the two of you than me. I’m too predictable.”

I raise an eyebrow at him. “Not to some though. Your signature move is scary enough.”

“All of us have a signature move. Yours are those shades,” Red says and then drinks his last bit of champagne on his first glass. After that, he finishes his second glass with one huge gulp. I stare at how fast he’s able to swallow them without chocking himself.

“I’m going to get something much stronger. After all, they’re paying,” Red grumbles, standing up and walk towards the waitresses.

Nate and I look at each other.

“That was… interesting,” Nate comments.

“Indeed,” I agree.

We receive a lot of stares from the werewolf hunters. Some that looked like they are new hunters looks afraid to look into my eyes.

“I’m going to have a drink. Coke?” Nate asks.

I grin at him. “You know me too well, bro.”

He rolls his eyes at me behind the dark glasses. “Sixteen years is long enough, sis.”

Once he disappears, I take the moment to look for any familiar faces like 116 or Director. Other werewolf hunters are too scared to talk to me, so I can’t help but feel lonely.

“Here you go,” Nate says, handing me a glass of Coke and a plate of sandwich. He knows me too well.

“Thanks,” I mumble. “What are you going to eat?”

He shakes his head. “I’m not hungry,” he mumbles. I frown at him.

“What is that then?”

I nod towards his clear drink.

“The waiter said it’s called Jukie. I’m curious to know how it tastes. Don’t worry; it doesn’t contain any alcohol,” Nate answers, sipping his drink.

I can’t spot 116 or Director anywhere. Red, on the other hand, looks like he is flirting with a HQ agent who seems to ignore his chatter. He looks really drunk.

“Welcome to GurneyCity and the first hunter gathering. I’m Director, the head of HQ agents,” Director’s voice booms.

Everyone stops talking instantly. I twist my head to see Director on the stage. He wears a suit and he looks serious.

This is the moment all werewolf hunters are waiting for.

Answers.

Author's Note

Hey! What do you think of this update? It's the 60th part! What do you think is going on? Is the story confusing? =.=

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.