Engagement and An Uninvited Guest

“Can I have your attention everyone?” Nate says loudly, making the whole pack house quiet. All eyes are trained on Nate, including mine.

“Nate and I have an announcement to make,” Gwen says this time.

“Gwen, your future Beta, is pregnant,” Nate announces. Everyone, except for me, Emma, Antoine and Beta Goldsmith looks surprised. Some of them scream their congratulations at the happy couple, only to be stopped by Nate again.

“And I have something to ask Gwen,” Nate speaks, looking at Gwen. She looks confused, just like the rest of us do.

What is he doing?

Nate kneels on one knee, taking Gwen’s hand in one hand and he takes a small box from his pocket.

Oh…

“Gwen, you are the love of my life. I can’t imagine a day without you or our daughter. I promise to never leave you and love you until the end of time. Gwenny, my love, will you marry me?” Nate asks with his whole soul, opening the box to see a diamond ring. His proposal is so deep that a few pack members shed a few tears. Even Beta Goldsmith looks like the happiest mother on love.

All of us wait eagerly for Gwen’s answer.

Gwen gives him a bored look. “No.”

Nate looks like someone just cut out the strings of his violin. A tear ski down his cheek.

Gwen suddenly smiles and cups Nate’s cheeks. “I’m just kidding, love. Yes, I will marry you.”

Nate jumps up and carry her, triwling her around in circle. Gwen giggles until Nate puts her down and slips the ring into her finger. The pack cheers for the newly engaged couple.

“I love you,” Nate says, kissing her passionately.

“I love you too,” Gwen says when they break away from the kiss.

I gag out loud, making the couple blush in embarrassment.

“Wait till you have a boyfriend, Mel, then I can tease you all day,” Nate mumbles.

I grin at him. “Look at how whipped you are, Nate! I’m single forever!”

“Let’s see about that,” Gwen chirps in. “I’m going to have a set up a blind date for you someday.”

I glare at her. “No. Gwen, don’t you dare set me up with a stranger.”

The party is quite fun. The party is more like an engagement party than a birthday party. I don’t mind though. Nate looks so happy that he’s literally glowing.

“I’m beat. Goodnight, guys,” I tell the happy couple.

“Goodnight, Mel,” they say back before going back to their conversation with Emma and Antoine.

When I go home with a cab, I see my Ferrari out in the driveway. Grace is back.

“Hey,” I say when I see Grace, Bree and a girl with green eyes in the kitchen.

“Hey, Mel,” Grace and Bree says.

“Hello. My name is Melanie. And you are…?” I say to the girl.

“Francis,” she says back.

There’s something about her that makes me want to kill her. Is she a rogue? What the hell is she doing in my house?

I grab my gun that has been at my waist and point at Francis. Bree and Grace stands up instantly.

“What are you?” I hiss.

Francis gulps, staring at my gun.

I remember how Grace hunts vampires. “You can tell by your instincts whether they’re a threat or not. It takes a lot of practice and patience. You need to trust your instincts. Right now, my instincts are telling me that you’re good people.”

Grace and Bree brought a vampire to my house!

“Mel! Put down the gun,” Grace instructs, taking a slow step towards me.

“She’s a vampire,” I tell her in disbelief. I thought she’s a vampire hunter and she should know all these things.

“I know. Remember when I told you that there are good and bad vampires? Francis here is a good vampire. She drinks from bloodbags; not humans,” Grace tells me.

I warily examine Francis. She’s kind of short and look harmless. You can never judge a book by it’s cover. Who knows she might have drink from an innocent guy?

“I don’t trust her,” I say, pointing the gun on the floor. “But I trust you two. I’m going to sleep now so if I see her trying to bite a chunk off my neck, my bullet is going through her skull. Grace, you have a lot of explanation to do tomorrow.”

The vampire shivers at my threat. Bree and Grace nods with a stone look. Without a second thought, I walk into my room and fall asleep.

I am awake to my phone ringing loudly at 4 a.m. I groan and pick up the call without looking at the called ID.

“Hello?” I say groggily.

“Melanie, the hybrids are here,” Alpha Green tells me.

My time to die is here as well. 

Author's Note

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.