Birthday

“Happy birthday,” Cassie sings, entering my room.

I groan and cover my face with my pillow. “Go away!” I tell her.

“No can do, sister! You and Nate are eighteen! Officially and legally adults! Do you feel old?”

“Yes, I feel like a grandma now so go away and let me sleep. I’m skipping today.”

She does not answer. I thought that she left the room but I feel an earthquake, making me fall off my bed.

“What the hell?” I scream at Cassie, who was jumping on my bed.

She merely giggles in reply. I scowl at her in annoyance.

“You better wake up if you don’t want to miss your party!” Cassie says, walking out of my room.

“What party?” I scream after her.

“Nate’s and your birthday party, silly!” Cassie shouts back.

“I did not agree to this,” I grumble to myself, making my way to the bathroom to clean myself up. After a bath, I wear my comfortable t-shirt with a skull on it and comfortable jeans.

When I come out of my room, I see Grace walking past me with a troubled look.

“Good morning, Grace,” I greet her.

She jumps in surprise. “Oh, good morning, Mel.”

“What’s troubling you?” I ask her with concern. She looks really tired. After training yesterday, she told me she had to do something and disappeared. I haven’t seen her until now.

“Nothing,” she tells me. I know it is a lie, but let it slide. It is none of my business. “May I borrow your car?”

“Why?” I ask suspiciously.

“I just need it. Please,” she pleads.

I shrug and give her my Ferrari keys. “Sure, just don’t use the boost button.”

“Thanks, Mel! I owe you one! By the way, happy birthday!” she shouts, walking briskly out of the house.

Huh, what was all that about?

“Melanie!” an annoying voice sings.

I turn just in time to be crushed by my twin brother. I gasp loudly when I can’t breathe properly. Do I look like a freaking teddy bear with ‘Hug me!’ on it?

“Get off me, dumbbutt!” I yell, pushing him with all my might.

Nate only laughs. “Happy birthday, sis!”

“Happy birthday, bro,” I say back.

Our birthdays before this year consist of nothing but exchanges of ‘happy birthday’ and presents. This year, we have Gwen and Cassie to celebrate with. The last time we had a birthday party with other people was when my parents were alive.

My parents, Nicholas and Cassandra Meridian were HQ agents. My dad was very close to me while Nate was very close to mum. I remember the time when I was so sad because Nate stole my colouring book and dad cheered me up by bringing me to a fair. When he and mum died, Nate and I were crushed. They were everything to us.

“Cake time!” Gwen yells from the kitchen.

I frown at Nate. “We’re having cake in the morning?”

“Her cravings are making her eat at odd times. Last night, she told me that she wanted durian. Can you believe it? Durians!”

I laugh at Nate’s sleepy face. Poor guy. Pregnant werewolves crave a lot of weird food. I wonder if Emma is going through the same thing…