Argument

Nate and I stop arguing when we hear 12 wakes up.

“What time is it?” 12 groggily says, yawning half-way.

“It’s about – ” I glance at my watch briefly “ – seven-thirty in the morning.”

12 eyes at me and Nate, then at the maps in front of us and the two mugs of coffee.

“Did you two sleep at all?” 12 demands.

“Not really,” Nate admits. “But we put that time to use by making a plan.”

12 looks impressed. “I’m going to take a bath, then you can tell me all about your plans.”

“Sure,” Nate answers.

We wait until 12 enters the bathroom and start the shower before Nate and I go back to arguing.

“It’s too dangerous, Nate!” I say, throwing my hands in the air.

“We have no choice, Mel!”

“Yes, we do!”                      

“Then what’s you grand plan?”

“Switch place with me,” I suggest.

Nate gives me a hard look. “No way! We’re talking about the west of MeadowFalls, Melanie.”

“My point exactly.”

“Listen to me, Mel. 12 can take the south side, the pack can take on the north and you at the east. I’ll be fine at the west,” Nate says.

I take a red marker and draw an arrow from Great York to MeadowFalls. “The hybrids will first arrive in the west, Nate! It is extremely dangerous. At least let me help you!”

Nate shakes his head. “I’ll be fine. I have Anna with me.”

“It’s not enough!” I protest. I can’t bare the thought of my twin dead.

“I can do it, Mel! I can hear again. You don’t need to constantly worry for me.”

I take in a deep breath before answering, “I’ll always be worried, Nate. You’re my brother, my twin. We have to stick together.”

“Just because we’re twins doesn’t mean we have to do everything together!” Nate yells.

I keep quiet. “You’re right,” I mumble, looking down at my shoes.

Nate is absolutely right. I’ve been forcing him to do things when he was deaf. It is the only way so I know that he’ll be safe. When Nate and I were younger and still normal children, we used to speak in synchronization and we would yell out ‘Twin Power!’ It was happy times because my parents were still alive.

I’m feeling really guilty now.

Nate looks surprised at my answer. Just before he can reply, there is a knock on the door. I grab my shades and open the door, only to see the blonde HQ agent.

“Breakfast in an hour’s time. Same place,” she informs me. The next thing I know, she disappears.

I blink.

How did she do that? Maybe all HQ agents can do that. After all, they’re not human.

I close the door slowly, still trying to figure out how to win in the argument. I’ll do anything so Nate or anyone else won’t get hurt or killed.

“So is anyone going to tell me the plan?” 12 asks, twirling the butter knife in her hand. Like I said, we’re not allowed to bring weapons into the HQ building.

Nate is about to reply when I say, “We’re going to go have breakfast. 86, you may use the bathroom first.”

Nate scowls at me but do as I say. 12 raises her eyebrows at me. “Did something happen while I showered?”

“No,” I lie. “Nothing happened.”

Even if I can’t change his mind, I’m going to make sure he’ll get out of this battle without an injury. I’ll make sure of it.

Author's Note

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.