Chapter 8- Taking 'Making Connections' To A Whole New Level.

A/N- 4000 words. Think this is my longest chapter, ever. Sorry if it drags on but I love this new addition... hope you do to ;)

~~~~

Darcy's POV

I took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself and stop the nerves, putting a simple smile on my face and giving me that air of confidence I was taught to use. Irene went to open the door to the hotel but someone on the other side opened it for her.

"Thank you." Irene mumbled politely as she sauntered inside, I followed after her and smiled at the boy in a red uniform holding the door open. He was about my age, possibly older, and his cheeks reddened as he smiled back.

The foyer to this hotel was huge and utterly spotless, I kept composed, I'd seen places this nice before. It was nothing that new. I followed behind Irene through the foyer, both of our sets of heels clicking on the pristine tiled floor.

"Do you know where you're going, Miss?" I asked her quietly as I noticed two people had entered after us, both looking very important and I'd hate for us to get lost.

Irene just smirked and gave me a look of disbelief, "Of course I do."

I blinked and nodded slowly, it seemed oddly quiet to say there was supposed to be quite a lot of people here for a party of some kind. This almost set me on edge but I kept calm, cool and collected. Oh, who was I kidding? This could be life or death for me.

We were wandering through a now carpeted hallway, but a nice carpet, there were rooms off each side of the hallway and when we got to the end and we were met with a  white double door. I couldn't hear anything coming from the other side, again it didn't bode well.

Irene raised a fist and knocked on the door, was this like some kind of speakeasy?

I looked at Irene from the corner of my eye as I moved to stand by her side and put a smile on my face as one of the doors opened. "Miss Adler." A gentleman in a suit with grey hair and wearing white gloves greeted from behind the door.

Butler. 

He nodded at her and then turned to me with raised eyebrows, "And guest. Welcome. Miss Adler, your host is expecting to see you at some point during the evening."

"Thank you Albert." Miss Adler said politely and entered the room.

I, again, followed and smiled at Albert but then stopped in my tracks as I entered the room. It was even bigger in space than the foyer and filled with people, all of them wearing what was probably very expensive attire.

My eyes scanned the room so many times over, not looking for anyone in particular just surveying the scene. All these smartly dressed, very important criminals gathered together in one place. It was almost, just almost, unbelievable.

"I have to go and speak with our host, enjoy yourself. Go mingle, make some connections. I'll find you when Jim wants to talk, anyone who approaches you, do be polite." Irene told me as we ended up walking near a white furnished bar.

With a smile on my face, I replied honestly, "Always, Miss. I can't think of any other way to behave in such a situation."

"That's my girl." Irene complimented quietly and before she left me alone, she leant close and whispered, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

I furrowed my brow and watched her saunter away, making her way politely through the groups of people and shaking hands with a couple of the gentlemen she past. Soon, she was out of my view, lost in the hoards of people in suits and long dresses.