Chapter 39- Are Trials Always This Boring Or Is It Just Me?

A/N- Just a little thing about this chapter... I wasn't exactly sure how long the trial ran for so I put what I assume is two days into one, oops XD I finally updated, yay, finished my exams and sixth form so hopefully updates should be more frequent ;)

This hasn't been completely edited... only slightly, enjoy xx

~~~~

Darcy's POV

Not Sherlock nor John turned up after the announcement told everyone to go to the court room. I was left stood in a corridor awkwardly smiling at people who walked by me and soon I just gave up, deciding to sit back on the bench.

"There you are." John sighed as he jogged up to where I was sat. "Where's Sherlock?" 

I shrugged pathetically and pushed myself to stand again. "No idea, he hasn't come back from the bathroom." A little ways away I spotted the creepy, deerstalker woman walking towards the doors of the court room and I huffed as Sherlock turned a corner to walk down the corridor we were on.

"I got held up." Sherlock stated pointedly as he joined us. 

"Yeah, she tried to get me to tell her where you were. I probably should have kept her away from you." I said and crossed my arms. 

Sherlock just looked at a point behind my head and replied, "No, I handled it." 

As we were about to head to the court room the smartly dressed woman from earlier approached us again. "Mr Holmes, you need to come with me." She then turned to myself and John. "You two can head to the public gallery."

She walked away purposefully and Sherlock just followed after her, didn't say goodbye or anything. "Come on..." John sighed and looked at his watch, "We're already late." 

John led the way to the gallery and we had to go up a flight of stairs before entering the already silent gallery. "Excuse me." John said quietly and some of the people on the second row stood to let us sit further along the row. 

From the corner of my eye I could see Moriarty stood in the stand just below us wearing a grey suit and even though I said I wouldn't look at him I couldn't help it. I sat forward and leant over a bit to look down at him.

He was casually chewing a piece of gum and when he spotted me looking down at him he smirked and so I directed my attention to the judge who was sat at the front of the room in the middle. The judge then started proceedings and brought in the jury, then spoke to them about something or other.

To be perfectly honest I wasn't really paying attention since most of what he was saying was legal jargon. There may have been a break at some point but John just left me where I was as he left to get a cup of tea. Even after the judge called Sherlock, the character witness, to the stand I pretty much zoned out what Sherlock was saying.

I may have been asleep with my eyes open, come to think of it.

But I was jolted 'awake' when John nudged me with his elbow a little and I sat straighter to listen to what the barrister woman was saying to Sherlock, "A consulting criminal."

"Yes." Sherlock stated in confirmation and stared at the barrister who was stood before him. 

"Your words." She added, "Can you expand on that answer?"

Sherlock glanced up at me and I shifted in my seat anxiously as he replied, "James Moriarty is for hire."

"A tradesman?" The barrister questioned in a slight joking manner. 

"Yes." Sherlock stated again. 

The barrister seemed to become slightly tired of Sherlock's one word answers as she added, "But not the sort who'd fix your heating."