Chapter 35 - One Glance

As Ran was sleeping soundly in his bed, Aizen was reading a book while sitting on the bed and leaning on the headboard. It was very rare for him to have a hard time to sleep so he thought to read a book so he could get sleepy. Unfortunately for him, the book didn't help him and closed it and put it back to the bedside table and then...

"Hm?" He glanced towards another book. He took the book and it was a photo album. He knew what album was it as he smiled and opened the album. There, he found Ran's photos on it. Photos where Ran was still a baby until she became teenager. He remembered two years ago after her mother's death, Ren gave the album to him unbeknownst to Ran. Sometimes in his free time, he will opened the album to know more about her childhood. He enjoyed looking at Ran's pictures, particularly when she's still around five years old. He thought Ran was very cute and adorable that time. He found it amused when he looked at her picture which she was crying because the ice cream fell down. He looked to the sleeping Ran and smiled while he caressed her cheek gently.

"You've grown beautifully" He complimented. He could hear a groan came out from her as she slowly wrapped her arms around his torso. He thought Ran probably still sleeping and only did that unconsciously. Aizen then stroke her hair gently while his other hand opened the other page. The next photos, Ren was there. Probably that was the time when Ren introduced himself to Ran and her family. Her pictures started to became fewer and fewer when she reached fifteen years old, probably because around that time her mother's health already became worse. And then...

His eyes fixed on one photo. Ran's photo. Seems the photo was taken secretly by either Ren or maybe her mother. He looked at her eyes. She was like searching for something. Those sincere and innocent gaze. Her bright emerald green eyes. She was smiling in the picture, but Aizen could sense sadness in her eyes. By looking at her picture, he remembered something.

"...If I'm not mistaken..." He pulled the drawer and took a picture from it. It was the same picture from the album. He recalled in the past before he went to Hueco Mundo.

>> Flashback

Another usual day.

Another boring day.

Aizen, captain of fifth squad was standing in front of the window, looking at the scenery outside. He didn't particular interested with anything outside his office as he was waiting. Always waiting for any good news to come. The news about the girl he supposed to watch over. Since that incident, almost hundred years have passed. Since the day, he lost Kiyo. As a close friend of Kiyo, to honored her-he decided to keep his promise to her. To find her lost experiment, or what he said her lost clone or daughter and protect her from Soul Society. 

He remembered not long after Kiyo's death, Ren-the former captain of tenth squad decided to looked for her. He thought if Aizen searched for her, Soul Society will suspected something so he abandoned his status as the captain and went to human world. Since that day, he told her there were still no news about her whereabouts. In the middle of his thought, someone was knocking the door.

"Excuse me, Aizen-taicho?" Hearing her voice, Aizen knew who was in the door.

"Hinamori-kun, huh? Come in" He said and Hinamori opened the door.

"Aizen-taicho. This is the papers you have to signed" She said and walked towards the table and put the papers there.

"I see. Thank you for your hard work" Aizen said.

"Um, Aizen-taicho? If--If you're tired you can rest for a moment. The papers doesn't have to be collected urgently" She said while her face became slightly pink. Aizen knew Hinamori idolized him from the moment he saved her from hollow attack in her school's day. That time, he just wanted to know whether her and Kira with Renji were qualified enough to be used by him. He thought it's about time for him to shown her what of him but...he have to wait a little bit longer to play the nice guy. The moment he obtained the girl, he will abandoned his lieutenant in instant.