1956: chapter thirty-seven

60+ comments plssssss ily it's nearly over soon

-

Sunday October 5th, 1956.

-

After a few weeks of Reece and Luke trying for a baby, they succeeded. Luke had brought a test and took it secretly, and he was positive. Now he just needed to tell Reece.

So he baked a cake.

He made a sponge cake, making icing for it before putting it in a piping bag. He had time because Reece was at work. So he did the two signs for a boy and girl on top of the cake before smiling to himself.

He was happy with his creation even if it was shaky and slightly not round on the circles but it was the thought that I counted.

When Reece finished work and came home, Luke was sitting on the grass outside with the chickens running round him as he fed them their food. Luke had to read up on chickens and what they needed to eat as well as pigs and the horse. The dog was by Luke's side when he heard the screen doors open. He turned to see his husband and smiled.

"You baked?" Reece asked, holding the cake in his hands. "Why has it got the gender signs on it?"

Luke smiled, "take a wild guess."

Reece stared at the cake for a moment before a bright grin stretched across his face. He put the cake down in the kitchen and ran back to Luke, who was just standing. Reece lifted Luke up in his arms, kissing him deeply. "Holy shit. We're having a baby."

Luke giggled, kissing Reece, "we are."

Reece put Luke down on the floor before grabbing his cheeks and peppering his face in kisses. "God, I love you."

Luke kissed back, "I love you too."

"I can't wait, we're gonna be dads." Reece smiled, glancing down at the chickens at his feet. He hated the chickens but Luke loved them so he had to deal with it.

"It's not common for boys to have babies so I don't want to leave the house as much when I start showing." Luke said. "And if someone saw me with a bump, they would know and some people won't hesitate to hurt it."

Reece frowned, kissing Luke's head. "It's okay, you can stay here, I'll tell the college you injured yourself and can't come or something." Luke nodded and let Reece wrap his arms around him before sighing.

"Shit." Luke shot up, "I need to call my dad."

Luke rushed in to the house while Reece put the chicken feed away, before he went inside, Luke already with the phone to his ear.

Reece wrapped his arms around Luke's waist, his hands flat to Luke's tummy. He kissed Luke's neck softly, "you're crying." Reece whispered.

Luke nodded, "I know, happy tears."

Reece grinned, spinning Luke around. He kissed Luke's head.

"Dad?" Luke said making Reece rub his thumb over Luke's hip bone. "It's Luke, I wanted to tell you something."

"What is it?" Reece heard him say. "Tell me, you get me so excited these days."

"I'm pregnant." Luke said with a giggle, looking at Reece and kissing him again. "You're gonna be a granddad to another kid."

Reece watched Luke talk to his dad before hugging Luke tightly to his chest which made Luke smile.

"I'll tell Reece's mum for him." Andrew said making Luke nod softly. "I'll tell Cal for you too."