White Mask

Reader's POV

I sweatdropped. Did Soul and Black Star really just do that onstage in front of pretty much the whole school? I laughed and shook my head. They can really be idiots sometimes. Death announced for us to just continue enjoying the night which had been interrupted by Soul and Black Star's craziness. 

After a while, people began going back to what they had been doing. They were soon laughing and dancing together again. I sighed and felt a twang of pain in my chest. I sighed. I should really learn how to shake these feelings off better. I turned to leave the room. I needed some time alone.

I went downstairs to my room. Moonlight filtered through the small barred window. The mask that the man had been wearing the day we went shopping still rested on my bed. I sat on the mattress and held the mask in my hands. It was just a plain white mask. Why did I feel so compelled to take it? I turned it over. Something small and dark caught my eye near the center of the mask. 

I gasped and stood, dropping the mask. "No, it can't be," I thought. But the truth was clear to see. I quickly changed into my regular clothes, leaving the dress on the bed and packed the few things I had quickly. I scribbled down a note for my friends and left it on my bed. 'Sorry. Don't follow me. Bye,' I wrote.