Death and Moonlight

Kid walked in the park, Liz and Patty by his side as he ranted about folding toilet paper into triangles. He stopped dead in his tracks when he spotted (y/n) and Justin sitting on the grass, laughing together. "Oh, hi, Kid!" she called when she spotted him. "See you later, nii-chan!" she said, waving to her cousin as she walked towards her friends. He smiled and put his earphones back on...Kid noticed that the only time he took off his earphones was when he was with his cousin.

Liz coughed and said," Um, Patty and I need to go now. We have um...stuff to do back home." The two sisters left, but not before Patty winked mischievously at her meister. Kid glared at their backs. 

He looked at (y/n). She had cut her hair after her encounter with the Yuki Onna, though it was a bit longer than it was before. After the battle, the white kimono turned back to her normal clothes but her jacket did not return. (Y/n) never said anything about it. It was strange, Kid thought, seeing her without the jacket she used to wear pretty much 24/7...but it was a nice change.

"How have you been?" he asked. "It's been great. Really great," she said. "Want to take a walk?" she asked. "It's getting dark," said Kid. "I like going outside at night. But if you don't want to..." He scoffed then smiled. "Typical you. It's okay. I don't mind," he said.

They walked together, not saying anything but just enjoying each other's company. They stopped to admire the sunset painting the sky a brilliant orange. It would have been beautiful if it wasn't for the sun's creepy grin. A gentle breeze blew and a glint of sliver caught Kid's eye. 

Her blade flashed through the air as (y/n) quickly cut off a lock of silver-white hair before it turned back to its original colour. "What did you do that for?" asked Kid, his voice echoing in the dirt tunnel. The others stopped walking and looked at her, carrying their wounded team members. She smiled at him and assured him it was nothing while quietly slipping the lock of hair into her pocket.

"She's been tying part of her hair back with that lock of silver hair," noted Kid silently. The sky quickly darkened from orange to dark blue. A grinning moon rose into the sky. "You can talk to me about it if you want to," said Kid. "Huh?" she said. "The Yuki Onna. You can talk to me about it whenever you want to. You don't need to keep it to yourself. Talk to me when you're ready," he said. 

"Okay," she said. She then told him everything that had happened when the Yuki Onna was inside her. "You met your sister?" he asked. "Yeah. They've all moved on now, of course. Yuuki, Yui, everyone else who became the Yuki Onna's failed vessels," she said. Kid looked down, an intense feeling of relief and gratitude that (y/n) had survived washing over him. 

She held the lock of silver hair in her hand, her hair falling over her face. "She was just a little girl, you know," she said. She tied her hair back again. "But wherever she is now, I'm sure she's happy," she said, an image of a pair of bright blue eyes flashing in her mind.

"Thank you, Kid," said (y/n), smiling. He smiled back. Her heart skipped a beat when she looked at his golden eyes. She blushed furiously. "L-let's just head back, okay?" she stammered. They walked back to the school, the path bathed in moonlight. 

"(Y/n), I'm the one who should be thanking you," said the young reaper. He stared at her with his bright golden eyes. "Back then, when you told me that I wasn't a monster. I shouldn't have let that creepy Japanese lady get to me," he said. "It's not your fault, Kid. Just don't ever let anyone call you a monster again because I don't think of you like that at all," said (y/n). 

"There's something I need to tell you by the way," said Kid. Black shadows and white moonlight danced in the city at nighttime. A pair of golden eyes shone in the black and white of the quiet night. A glint of silver as the moonlight caught a lock of white hair blown by a gentle breeze. The confession never made it past his lips. One glance between them and they knew. The reaper and the girl who saved him held each other's hands as they made their way back to the school.

(Y/n) giggled when she realised that she was only holding one of his hands. "You really are asymmetrical."

For the first time in his life, Kid took it as a compliment.

Owari